Did I get a rotten butt?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

logan08c

Original poster
Dec 24, 2013
So I was supposed to be making pulled pork for a Christmas Eve party, but when I unwrapped my butt I was greeted with.. this.

Now raw pork isn't exactly the sweetest smelling thing, but this thing could be smelled from near across the kitchen. Not wanting to potentially start an outbreak of plague I triple wrapped the thing and threw it in the freezer where I'll try to get my money back, but I am curious if anyone knows just what on earth is wrong with it. I've cooked over a dozen butts and never seen anything like it.

Most likely Temperature Abuse. I worked in a Grocery store for years. It is not uncommon for customers to put meat in their cart then 5 isles later decide for whatever reason they don't want it and stick it on the shelf where ever they are at. Store employees that don't know many better will see it, who knows how many hours later, and put it back in the case. Some time later you come along and buy this meat. You get it home, break the seal and fall over from the stink...JJ

Mostlikely temp abuse as Jimmy said. If you take it back I would do it ASAP. The longer you wait the more room they have to wiggle and say you did the abuse....

So I was supposed to be making pulled pork for a Christmas Eve party, but when I unwrapped my butt I was greeted with.. this.

Now raw pork isn't exactly the sweetest smelling thing, but this thing could be smelled from near across the kitchen. Not wanting to potentially start an outbreak of plague I triple wrapped the thing and threw it in the freezer where I'll try to get my money back, but I am curious if anyone knows just what on earth is wrong with it. I've cooked over a dozen butts and never seen anything like it.

Fresh pork should have zero smell...it will have an odor if removed from vac pack but even that should dissipate. I suspect you got one that was left out of fridge..most stores should have no problem making it right, I've taken many things back.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 4

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky