Did I get a bad brisket??

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Waldizzy

Original poster
Jun 15, 2018
Hey guys- new to the forums. Been a lurker for some time. I’ve smoked about 10 briskets over the last couple years so still figuring out my process.

I was in a rush getting a brisket tonight at the store and when the butcher at the meat counter showed the brisket, he showed the side without fat and it looked good. A few hours later I am about to prep the meat with rub to sit overnight and smoke all day tomorrow. Go to trim the fat and see some dark spots all through the fat. Has anyone seen this? Any idea what it is? Safe to eat or throw out?

Thanks in advance!
-Mike
upload_2018-6-15_22-18-28.jpeg

Attachments

• 582A5024-4F36-421C-BA7B-E71977834359.jpeg
    582A5024-4F36-421C-BA7B-E71977834359.jpeg
    157.3 KB · Views: 102
Hopefully some one answers; but don't toss it if it is bad. Return it to the butcher with the packaging...they might have to go through their entire stock if things went off..

Googling tells me if it smells fine, it is fine. Trim off the bad spots, apparently they're caused by capalaries(Spelled correctly) but hopefully a wiser butcher artistan chimes in here with first hand experience.

Looks ok to me. Like the other guys said smell is the telltale sign. Just trim off what you don't like and any gray or brown.
Let us know how it turns out.

Thanks everyone for your input. I ended up cutting off the fat in question and threw it on my Traeger. I will post the results this evening.

Thanks again!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky