Delmonico’s Menu (Dodge City)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bearcarver

Gone but not forgotten RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Sep 12, 2009
Macungie, PA
Delmonico’s Menu (Dodge City)

I’ve seen this many times, but I finally had a pen & paper at the time.
So I copied it down, so I could post it for you guys.
It’s not always the same, but in the same BallPark:

This is the folding Blackboard Sign, in front of Delmonico’s Restaurant, on “Gunsmoke”. The menu is written in Chalk, and occasionally changed.

Delmonico’s

Menu

Antelope Stew——35¢
Ham & Eggs———30¢
Ham Hocks----------30¢
Steak Dinner———40¢
Pie—per cut———10¢
Coffee—————----5¢

Bear

Last edited:
I do remember .05 cent coffee. Gosh I’m old!
Al
I remember a few "Nickel Beer" nights, but I can't think of any 5¢ Coffee.
"Gunsmoke" is set in the 1890s, so even You weren't around that far back!!

Bear

7DOJDFG.jpg
At one point in time.... Antelope were almost as common as Buffalo, and there were herds of antelope in western Kansas. And.... since they only weigh about 130 pounds, I could see killing one animal for one batch of stew (probably frying the backstraps for a real delicacy). Ham, eggs and pie did not need refrigeration. All in all, looks like a good menu.

Here are some other good prices from yesteryear.
fRDdvN8.jpg
lsoKSaW.jpg

Man for a buck you could get a good meal and tip the waitress pretty darn good.

Jim
Thank You Jim!!
We must not forget that it took the average guy all day long to make the Buck we're talking about, back in 1890.

Bear

Reactions: JLeonard
We must not forget that it took the average guy all day long to make the Buck we're talking about, back in 1890.

Bear
A regular cowboy could make between $25 and $40 a month. A top hand maybe $50. I would think the wages for workers in other professions would be similar. Railroad workers had good benefits, not sure if the wages were higher??

A regular cowboy could make between $25 and $40 a month. A top hand maybe $50. I would think the wages for workers in other professions would be similar. Railroad workers had good benefits, not sure if the wages were higher??

That's what I said.
I looked it up---Cowboys got about $1 per day, and that was a 10 hour day. Rail station, clerks, etc were all in the range of $1 to $1.70 per 10 hour day.
Plus I've seen thousands of westerns, and they all mention "A dollar a day & found", when hiring drovers for a drive they're forming.
Sheriff wasn't an hourly thing, but still generally was $30 a month, "if ya live that long."
However this thread was mainly to show what Diner's prices were in 1890.

Bear

Last edited:
Fun thread, Bear. I grew up 90 miles west of Dodge City, KS. Not much to see out there but what you do see you can eat. :emoji_laughing: Cattle and farm ground for as far as you can see and flat as a pancake! There are still antelope herds in Eastern Colorado where there isn't as much tilled farm ground. My older brother still lives out there, I visit occasionally.

Watched an episode of Gunsmoke the other day where some Irish guy opened a bar across the street from the Long Branch so Miss Kitty would go broke and have to marry him. Whisky for 10¢ a drink! RAY

Fun thread, Bear. I grew up 90 miles west of Dodge City, KS. Not much to see out there but what you do see you can eat. :emoji_laughing: Cattle and farm ground for as far as you can see and flat as a pancake! There are still antelope herds in Eastern Colorado where there isn't as much tilled farm ground. My older brother still lives out there, I visit occasionally.
That sounds interesting!!
I guess Miss Kitty is looking pretty rough these days!!

Bear

Amanda Blake, aka Miss Kitty, died in Sacramento in 1989 John. Probably wouldn't even recognize these days! RAY

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.