Delmonico’s Menu (Dodge City)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I saw that one not too long ago. Kitty was not happy!
One of my favorites is when the bad guy was faster than Dillon, and shot him on the wrist. So he was laughing at Dillon & told him it wouldn't be fair to gun him now, so go to the Doc & get your arm fixed. Then come back & we'll do it again.
So Doc's out of town, and Chester has to bandage Dillon's arm. They get it fixed up, and are heading back to the street in front of the Long Branch. Everybody's worried, this time the guy will Kill Dillon, because he's faster than Dillon, but Kitty isn't worried. She shoots the guy in the back, and the game is over. Dillon lives to fight another day.

Bear

Now that is hilarious! Reason is my first cousin was Miss Kitty for 12 years singing and dancing for the tourists at Boot Hill.
Cool Job!!!
I have a Niece who dance a few years at "Busch Gardens". Then she danced a few years on a West Coast Cruise Ship. Now she has her own Dance Studio, in East Greenville, PA.

Bear

Reactions: Colin1230
While on the subject of Gunsmoke, another bit of trivia.

The guy who gets shot by Marshall Dillon in the opening of each show was never credited but his name was Arvo Ojala. He was the fast draw artist who taught most of the old western stars how to handle guns and draw. He said the residuals from that one scene bought him many Cadillacs over the years. You can look him up on the net. He also designed the first fast draw holsters.

Last edited:
While on the subject of Gunsmoke, another bit of trivia.

The guy who gets shot by Marshall Dillon in the opening of each show was never credited but his name was Arvo Ojala. He was the fast draw artist who taught most of the old western stars how to handle guns and draw. He said the residuals from that one scene bought him many Cadillacs over the years. You can look him up on the net. He also designed the first fast draw holsters.
Yup---That's him!!
I've seen him thousands of times, but from far away.

Thanks,
Bear

More interesting Trivia:
In 2013, Marshall Trimble, the board president of the Arizona Historical Society and vice president of the Wild West History Association, documented that Matt Dillon's TV character was shot at least 56 times, knocked unconscious 29 times, stabbed three times, and poisoned once.

Bear

One of my favorites is when the bad guy was faster than Dillon
We used to watch the show at grandma‘s. She had a color tv!

It always amazed me how you could show up unannounced, and all of a sudden, a pot roast with all the fixings would appear!

Speaking of Festus, Ken Curtis was on Gunsmoke a few times before he became the character Festus. The first time he was Festus he was chasing his Uncle Black Jack Haggen(Denver Pyle) to kill him for killing his twin brother Fergus. It was never mentioned again that Festus had a brother. He then came back another couple of times as another character before becoming Festus full time. Cleaned up he's almost unrecognizable.

He was one of the regulars in some John Wayne/John Ford movies as he was John Ford's SIL at one time. He was also the lead tenor for the Sons of the Pioneers. He sang in some John Wayne movies but, being cleaned up, he was hard to recognize.

Speaking of Festus, Ken Curtis was on Gunsmoke a few times before he became the character Festus. The first time he was Festus he was chasing his Uncle Black Jack Haggen(Denver Pyle) to kill him for killing his twin brother Fergus. It was never mentioned again that Festus had a brother. He then came back another couple of times as another character before becoming Festus full time. Cleaned up he's almost unrecognizable.

He was one of the regulars in some John Wayne/John Ford movies as he was John Ford's SIL at one time. He was also the lead tenor for the Sons of the Pioneers. He sang in some John Wayne movies but, being cleaned up, he was hard to recognize.

Yup---I've seen him a few other places too. I liked him more than Chester, and I always get a kick out of when he's always screwing with Burt Reynolds. When Dillon is outnumbered, he could count of Festus for some help, but Chester was usually helpless.

Bear

Reactions: 1MoreFord
I thought Newly made the best deputy.

Chris

Watched an episode of Gunsmoke the other day where some Irish guy opened a bar across the street from the Long Branch so Miss Kitty would go broke and have to marry him. Whisky for 10¢ a drink! RAY

That's funny---We must be a couple days behind you. The "10¢ Whiskey Sign" was still up, by the front door.
I just watched that episode again yesterday. It was an old Gold Miner who bought "The Lady Gay" saloon, to try to run Kitty out of Biz. It worked too, but then his partner was going to kill Kitty, and the Miner who fell for Kitty ended up killing him to save Kitty. So they buried one & the other one sold out & left town, and Kitty opened the Long Branch back up.

Bear

Last edited:
We used to watch the show at grandma‘s. She had a color tv!

It always amazed me how you could show up unannounced, and all of a sudden, a pot roast with all the fixings would appear!
LOL---When I was about 5 years old, my Grandparents lived next door, about 50 yards away. We both had Black & White TV, but my Dad didn't watch "Lassie" on Sunday night, so I'd run over there & watch Lassie, with my Grand-Mom.
Then I'd run back home, in the dark so I could watch "Bonanza" with my Dad.
Meanwhile my big brother would hide in the bushes, and jump out & scare the Hell out of me!! (RIP Brother Jim)

Bear

It's funny---When I see these people, like "Festus" on another program, I call Mrs Bear in, and ask her who that guy is. Most of the time she doesn't get it.
Some times I don't even get it until I hear the voice.
Kinda like the easy one----Hot Shot Quick Draw "Sammy Davis Jr" on "The Rifleman". Or how 'bout this one----Vic Morrow on Bonanza.
Buddy Hacket on "The Rifleman".
Then if you ever watched "Adam-12" you'd notice they had most of the cast of "The Dick Van Dyke" show on Adam-12 as guests.

Bear

Reactions: 1MoreFord
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.