Deli Beef DIY Smoked

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

spudthegreater

Fire Starter
Original poster
Aug 12, 2020
20200821_195707.jpg
20200821_195734.jpg
20200821_195750.jpg
20200821_195807.jpg
20200821_195827.jpg
20200822_181147.jpg
20200822_181213.jpg
20200822_181011.jpg
20200822_181101.jpg
20200823_102941.jpg
20200823_103009.jpg
Been doing this as an adult as long as I can remember. But this year Im using my Pit Boss 820ME pellet smoker and these smoked roasts are turning out fantastic!.
I first got hooked on smoked beef as a kid on family outings to the local Longhorn BBQ in Spokane WA where they will sell it to you by the pound, thin sliced and pit smoked over real wood.
They use Bottom Round, lean and cheap, but since its a low temp slow roast, there isn't a lot of fat that would be rendered.
The roast is just over 4lbs, has a fat cap on the bottom of it that needs trimmed of. its hardly any loss on this unlike a brisket which is a plus.
You then just cover it with course kosher salt and then black pepper. Be very liberal with both. Wrap it in plastic and keep it in the refrigerator overnight.
For smoking it, I use p setting 6 with a stainless water pan next to the smoke stack outlet on the far right side. This keeps temperatures stable and environment moist. Temps will be around 150 to 160.
I do that for at least 4 hrs not touching anything but i do have a meat probe to monitor temps. I will then turn up to around 180 with p setting 4 for the remainder. this could take about 9 hrs depending on variables. I pull it off at internal meat temp of 152F. This has been found to be my sweet spot. Not bleeding but not cooked, Just smoked to a medium doneness.
Here is the hard part. Take it off and bag it, let it cook on the table in the bag. Its going to sweat and then re-absorb the moisture. Put it in the refrigerator overnight then next day slice thinly with a meat slicer if you have one. will include pics.
At 3.49 lb its half the price of deli meat and 10x better. Makes the best sandwiches ever.

Looks great! We smoke roasts a lot. Tried a few years ago on a whim, and it turned out so good, we do it about once a month. As good as Boars Head at half or less of the price. Good job.

Reactions: spudthegreater
looks good, nice job! I've intended to do this many times...but somewhere between the smoker and the slicer they disappear...i blame it on the gravy!

Ryan

That's a fine piece of work, tastes great and beats deli meat prices to death. I usually do eye of round or sirloin tip when I can find either for $3 a pound or less. I usually pull them around 130º and the carry-over gets them up another 4-5 degrees. RAY

That's a fine piece of work, tastes great and beats deli meat prices to death. I usually do eye of round or sirloin tip when I can find either for $3 a pound or less. I usually pull them around 130º and the carry-over gets them up another 4-5 degrees. RAY
I personally dont have a problem with medium rare beef, but my wife HATES it.
So I need to be certain the cow can't be put back out to pasture when im done and slice it up...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky