1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Delayed New Year’s Day Pork & Sauerkraut

Discussion in 'Pork' started by Bearcarver, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Bearcarver

Bearcarver SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster OTBS Member

Delayed New Year’s Day Pork & Sauerkraut

We had this on New Year’s Day, but due to all the other Great Meals, 50 year Anniversary & 70th Birthday partying, and picture taking, I just now got time to put it together.

So Mrs Bear found a Hatfield Rolled & Tied, Boneless Pork Shoulder on sale with a coupon for $1.99.
    And this is that one meal that she doesn’t allow anything other than her Crock Pot to do the work.
    So she removed the string, and put that Bad Boy in her Crock Pot, on high at 10 AM, Jan 1, added the Sauerkraut at Noon, cut the heat to low at 2 PM, and Plated it at 4 PM.
    Then I did the pulling & plating while she was finishing up the Mashed Taters.

Then after eating, Mrs Bear put some of the leftovers together & ran it down to Bear Jr’s house for him & Beth.
    Bear Jr was under the weather, and didn’t want to come near me, because of my health issues, so they didn't eat with us, like they usually do on New Year's Day.

I managed a few Sammies on following days with the leftover Pulled Pork with some BBQ Sauce. (Shown Below)

As for the rest of the Kraut, Mrs Bear ate some with the leftover Mashed Taters, but most of it went right where it belongs—In Rolls with my Hot Dogs & Mustard!!! No Pics, because I’m sure you’ve all seen enough Pics of Dogs with Kraut.

Thanks for stopping in Guys, and Happy New Year to You All !!

BTW: Bear Jr was fine by my Birthday on Jan 3. He told me he had completely lost his voice for the first time ever, and he had to Text Bethany even when they were sitting in the same room!! LOL

Bear

6+ Pound Rolled & Tied Pork Shoulder Roast @ 1.99 with coupon:
    IMG_3027.jpg

Into the Big Old Crock Pot:
    IMG_3029.jpg

Sauerkraut Added to Pork:
    IMG_3030.jpg

Pork separated from Kraut, and pulled apart:
    IMG_3032.jpg

Big Bowl of Kraut:
    IMG_3033.jpg

Bear's first Helping:
    IMG_3034.jpg

Next night's fixings for some Sammies:
    IMG_3035.jpg

A Couple of Pulled Pork Sammies with some of Mrs Bear's Sauce & some Franks Red Hot:
    IMG_3036.jpg

Close 'em up & chow down:
    IMG_3037.jpg

A Nice Cherry Turnover (store bought) for Dessert:
    IMG_3038.jpg

xray, yankee2bbq, smokerjim and 3 others like this.
  2. jimalbert

jimalbert Meat Mopper

Num Num Num... Looks great as always Bear!

3. gmc2003

gmc2003 Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Gotta like it Bear, and glad junior is feeling better. Momma bear sounds like my wife when it comes to T-day turkey. That's her meal to cook and her's only.

Point for sure.
    Chris

4. chopsaw

chopsaw Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Lookin good . I like a little caraway seed in the kraut . Good eaten on a cold day .

5. Braz

Braz Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

I need to get another batch of kraut going. I am down to about a quart and a half in the fridge.

6. HalfSmoked

HalfSmoked Master of the Pit Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Yes sir an old country boy dinner for sure love that kraut straight up nothing to adjust the flavor. Kraut and dogs works for me too.

Warren

7. Looks Great we love Kraut :emoji_heavy_check_mark::emoji_thumbsup:

Gary

8. smokerjim

smokerjim Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

looks good as usual bear, I'm in the same boat with certain holiday meals, the wife takes over, and i'm not complaining I enjoy just sitting back and eating.

9. yankee2bbq

yankee2bbq Smoking Fanatic

Great looking meal!
    And Happy New Year to you!

10. Bearcarver

Thank You Jim!!

Bear

Thank You Chris!!
    Yeah, I don't even think of Smoking any Pork to go with New Year's Kraut.
    That's Been without Smoke for 50 years---Aint gonna change!!
    And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

11. Bearcarver

Thank You Rich!!
    Hmmm, Never tried Caraway.

Bear

12. Bearcarver

Thank You Warren!!
    I Think it's illegal for a Pennsylvania Dutchman to start a New Year off, without a Pork & Sauerkraut Dinner on January 1 !!
    And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Uh Oh !!!
    Better get on it !!

Bear

13. xray

xray Smoking Fanatic

Looks great Bear!! Yeah it’s pretty much mandatory around here to eat only pork and sauerkraut on New Years Day.

Mine didn’t come out as good as yours. The wife bought a loin and it toughened up in the crockpot...edible but not the best.

Guess you can’t knock them all out of the park.

Like!!

14. Bearcarver

Thank You Warren!!
    Yup, other than Kraut for Hot Dogs, New Year's Day is the only time we make it.
    And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

15. Bearcarver

Thank You Gary!!
    And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

16. Bearcarver

Thank You Jim!!
    Yup---Same thing here!!
    And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

17. chef jimmyj

chef jimmyj Epic Pitmaster Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Looks great. I'm still waiting to make some. The family are not big fans...JJ

18. Bearcarver

Thank You Justin!!
    And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

19. HalfSmoked

HalfSmoked Master of the Pit Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

We have pork and kraut all year and for sure when ever we have turkey we have kraut.

Warren

20. pc farmer

pc farmer Epic Pitmaster Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Yummy for sure Bear. We have kraut, hot dogs and kielbasa every New Year. Next year will be with homemade dogs for sure.