Dehydrating Sourdough Starter

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BGKYSmoker

Nepas OTBS #242
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Dec 25, 2010
Rineyville, KY
Took one of the jars to dehydrate it.
Hope it works. My dehydrator is just on fan, no heat.

If anyone would like some just let me know, dont think i can ship internationally.

I live 8 miles from the gulf of mexico and 20 miles north of the everglades, who knows what kind of taste it will get.

My sourdough is happy, fed 2 times daily with unbleached flour and filtered water.
IMG_4082.JPG

dehyst.JPG

dehyst1.JPG

I ordered some of that old one Dan posted while back. That starter dries pretty fast. I still have my original in freezer. Need to test to see if still good. I seen some things not suppose to keep in freezer but my brewing yeast been in there several years add still works good.

I seen packaged right it will be good in freezer for a year.

Be interesting to see how long your Florida culture would thrive way up here in Minnesota.
I may PM you in December when wife and I start our first snowbird winter in Florida

I tried a "legacy" starter from Oregon and it didn't flourish.
Once the local yeasts took hold I had a great culture.

I seen packaged right it will be good in freezer for a year.
Try 4,500 to 5,000 years, and it doesn't need to be frozen.

I keep my dried discard in a sealed mason jar in the freezer, but it doesn't need to be frozen although freezing it is not going to hurt it.

Reactions: Fueling Around
Be interesting to see how long your Florida culture would thrive way up here in Minnesota.
I may PM you in December when wife and I start our first snowbird winter in Florida

I tried a "legacy" starter from Oregon and it didn't flourish.
Once the local yeasts took hold I had a great culture.
I did live in PA for many years. Lancaster county and then had a houe built in N, PA Lehighton. Had enuff of cold.

Yup been dehydrating my starter for years and it has been sent out all over the world. Always make sure it is labeled properly or the border guards might think its some illegal substance. LOL

Attachments

• 20210324_111037_HDR.jpg
    20210324_111037_HDR.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 9
Reactions: forktender
Yup been dehydrating my starter for years and it has been sent out all over the world. Always make sure it is labeled properly or the border guards might think its some illegal substance. LOL
I do the same thing.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky