• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Dehydrating Sourdough Starter

SWFLsmkr1

Epic Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Joined Dec 25, 2010
Took one of the jars to dehydrate it.
Hope it works. My dehydrator is just on fan, no heat.

If anyone would like some just let me know, dont think i can ship internationally.

I live 8 miles from the gulf of mexico and 20 miles north of the everglades, who knows what kind of taste it will get.

My sourdough is happy, fed 2 times daily with unbleached flour and filtered water.
IMG_4082.JPG

dehyst.JPG

dehyst1.JPG

BrianGSDTexoma

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Aug 1, 2018
I ordered some of that old one Dan posted while back. That starter dries pretty fast. I still have my original in freezer. Need to test to see if still good. I seen some things not suppose to keep in freezer but my brewing yeast been in there several years add still works good.

Wurstmeister

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Mar 21, 2018
Definitely a good way to store discarded starter. Just reconstitute when needed. Keep us in the loop. 🍻

SWFLsmkr1

Epic Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Joined Dec 25, 2010
I seen packaged right it will be good in freezer for a year.

Fueling Around

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Dec 10, 2018
Be interesting to see how long your Florida culture would thrive way up here in Minnesota.
I may PM you in December when wife and I start our first snowbird winter in Florida

I tried a "legacy" starter from Oregon and it didn't flourish.
Once the local yeasts took hold I had a great culture.

forktender

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 10, 2008
I seen packaged right it will be good in freezer for a year.
Try 4,500 to 5,000 years, and it doesn't need to be frozen.

I keep my dried discard in a sealed mason jar in the freezer, but it doesn't need to be frozen although freezing it is not going to hurt it.

SWFLsmkr1

Epic Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Joined Dec 25, 2010
Be interesting to see how long your Florida culture would thrive way up here in Minnesota.
I may PM you in December when wife and I start our first snowbird winter in Florida

I tried a "legacy" starter from Oregon and it didn't flourish.
Once the local yeasts took hold I had a great culture.
I did live in PA for many years. Lancaster county and then had a houe built in N, PA Lehighton. Had enuff of cold.

Devo1

Smoke Blower
Joined Mar 7, 2018
Yup been dehydrating my starter for years and it has been sent out all over the world. Always make sure it is labeled properly or the border guards might think its some illegal substance. LOL

Attachments

forktender

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 10, 2008
Yup been dehydrating my starter for years and it has been sent out all over the world. Always make sure it is labeled properly or the border guards might think its some illegal substance. LOL
I do the same thing.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.