Deer roast ideas

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JLeonard

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Apr 17, 2020
Southaven, MS
Ok folks, I have 2 decent sized deer roast from a deer the dad killed. Gimme your tried and true recipes. I have a SV, weber kettle, and cabinet smoker. Hit me with the ideas.

Jim

Reactions: Gonna Smoke
Low and slow on the smoker for me. Rubbed with a pepper and coffee rub, the name of which I can't recall...."Major Merritt's", or something like that. Oh, and the obligatory garlic cloves inserted.

Reactions: JLeonard
Well Jim, you just made me realize we almost never eat venison roasts as a roast lol. Alot get sliced thin for jerky, cubed up and make chislic out of them, sliced into small steaks and cooked to medium rare. What yankee2bbq yankee2bbq did with his did look really good! Be interesting to see what other responses you get...might have to play monkey see, monkey do!

Ryan

Venison Mongolian:
img_20220327_190043-jpg.jpg
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/mongolian-venison-and-egg-rolls-again.314182/#post-2327006

Last edited:
Im a big fan of brining venison and goose breast when they are going to be smoked. I like to inject the brine, like pump it in there until its the size of a football lol. Preferably letting it set overnight(submerged), but we all know we have to do what we have to do with the time we are allowed! Sometimes coated in mustard, sometimes not. I pour the wood to it @225 but only run the meat to 135 it. Slice it thin for sandwiches or little thicker for a main course ! Here is the last one i did, It was actually cooked a touch longer than I wanted, but still turned pretty good!

Attachments

• 20221211_164702.jpg
    20221211_164702.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 20221211_170642.jpg
    20221211_170642.jpg
    186.2 KB · Views: 5
  • 20221211_171013.jpg
    20221211_171013.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 6
Ryan, drop some knowledge on me. What is chislic?
I was waiting for someone to ask lol! It's a big thing in South Dakota...basically just meat cubed up into small pieces, some marinate it for awhile, deep fry it in oil, and when removed and drained sprinkle your favorite rub on it!
We always use venison but could use any meat.

Ryan

Best deer roast I ever had was treated as a lamb roast.
I just remember he started it in a 500° oven and dropped the temp to 350° until done.

My favorite for deer roast (haunch) is dried venison. I always cheated and had the local locker make it (reasonably priced), but he retired. I'm going to have to beg for his recipe
Well Jim, you just made me realize we almost never eat venison roasts as a roast lol. Alot get sliced thin for jerky, cubed up and make chislic out of them, sliced into small steaks and cooked to medium rare. What yankee2bbq yankee2bbq did with his did look really good! Be interesting to see what other responses you get...might have to play monkey see, monkey do!

Ryan

Chislic? Huh! I never knew there is a name for it outside of deep-fried venison.
Try rolling the cubes in Shore Lunch Cajun batter mix. Just leave the batter mix dry and get a light coating on the meat.

Reactions: Brokenhandle
I was waiting for someone to ask lol! It's a big thing in South Dakota...basically just meat cubed up into small pieces, some marinate it for awhile, deep fry it in oil, and when removed and drained sprinkle your favorite rub on it!
We always use venison but could use any meat.

Ryan

Never heard of it til today, had to look it up… but definitely going to try it!

Cut some into about 5/8-3/4"slices and run it through a meat cuber a couple times or maybe three times. Do not over cook this it will dry out in a heart beat think rare cube steak.
Cut some into good bite sized chunks and marinade it overnight in 50% Low Sodium Dales and 50% Dr Pepper. Next day take meat out and allow to drain, slice some cheap bacon in half and microwave it for 20-30 seconds or until it's like 1/2 cooked, take a piece of that meat and wrap that piece of bacon around it and fasten it with a toothpick to keep it in place. Next place it on a hot grill or drop it into some hot cooking oil till it gets to about 130-135 degrees drain and eat. Get you a bottle of YumYum sauce if you like it and you have some pretty good eating

I've done the flat rounds as dry cured and smoked and they baked a honey glaze on them. Havn't done it again because as awesome as it was, it was damn messy trying to slice it on the slicer.

Pastrami or Bearcarver Bearcarver 's dried vension is a great option to try. I did these but I had a hard time getting the football roasts cured and the two flatter roasts cured better. They might wet cure better.

Reactions: JLeonard
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky