Deep Dish CI Grilled Mexican Prime Rib Casserole (Pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
We were in the mood for something akin to Mexican food one day last week but I didn't want the same ol' same ol' tacos or fajitas. Wanted to delve into something different. Scrounged through the fridge and came across some leftover prime rib from a couple days before and the cogs started turning. A plan of sorts was formulated and I set about bringing it to fruition.

Cut up the PR and into a pan with some of my Mexican spice mix, a sprinkle of Sazon Goya, and a splash of beef broth. Kinda ugly but the color on the meat was really nice for what I had in mind.
004.jpg

Line a CI skillet with torts and add refried beans.
003.jpg

Put the meat into the skillet on top of the beans.
005.jpg

Sliced onions and Ro Tel tomatoes with green chilies
006.jpg

Load on the cheddar cheese and top with fresh sliced jalapenos.
007.jpg

Out to the grill. On the top rack in order not to burn the bottom before it heats through.
008.jpg

20-25 minutes it's heated through and the cheese has melted. Time to bring it in. Jalapenos lightly cooked but still maintained the texture and some crunch...just the way we like them.
009.jpg

Plated up with a dollop of sour cream and some tortilla chips. Out to the patio.
010.jpg

Close up so you can see all of the goodies. It's a bit of a disjointed mess but you can see how everything is layered in.....sort of.
011.jpg

Super quick, super easy, and super good!! For such a simplistic dish, this packed a ton of flavor. We thoroughly enjoyed this dinner. There wasn't a nibble left when we finished. A word to the wise though: let it sit and cool a bit before trying to slice and serve. It needs a little of time to firm up or it'll go to pieces trying to serve it. The plated shot is actually my second piece. The first one was unrecognizable. Very tasty but a real mess on the plate. The second serving managed to stay together to a point and made for a much better picture than the first one :emoji_wink: Well, we have another addition to the menu rotation as well as some left over rib eye steak in the fridge. This may get done again today or tomorrow.

Gotta run. Nothing on the work schedule for today so gonna run into town and take care of a few errands. Y'all take care, stay safe, and I'll see everybody soon.

Robert

Another one bookedmarked for sure. Robert that looks like a meal to sit down too all the time. Nice work.

Great job Robert! Very creative way to use leftovers. That might be a good one for me to try on a weeknight when time is short. Thanks for sharing!

Very nice, Robert! And fortuitous, since I did an Eye of Round a couple of days ago on the KUDU rotisserie and let it get away from me so it was a little on the "chewy" side.
I was just getting ready to dice it up for Chile but I like the looks of this!
I'm assuming those are flour tortillas and they look like they've been toasted.
I'm afraid I don't have your Mexican spice mix recipe and I don't know what Sazon Goya is. If you get the time, let me know the recipe?
From past experience, I know I'm going to be making a trip to one or two of the Mexican groceries in my neighborhood.:emoji_grin:

Dan

Very nice, Robert! And fortuitous, since I did an Eye of Round a couple of days ago on the KUDU rotisserie and let it get away from me so it was a little on the "chewy" side.
I was just getting ready to dice it up for Chile but I like the looks of this!
I'm assuming those are flour tortillas and they look like they've been toasted.
I'm afraid I don't have your Mexican spice mix recipe and I don't know what Sazon Goya is. If you get the time, let me know the recipe?
From past experience, I know I'm going to be making a trip to one or two of the Mexican groceries in my neighborhood.:emoji_grin:

Dan
it is small spice packets sold in Target, Walmart, there a few different kinds

Reactions: SmokyMose
Crushed it! Man that looks amazing! Great job on putting together a creative and cohesive dish off the cuff!

Great meal Robert!
I think you could take just about anything & make a great meal out of it!
You even made a mess look good!
I bet they tasted amazing!
Al

Phenomenal piece of work Robert, I'd stand in line for an hour for the opportunity to sit down to the dish! RAY

Who the hell would think to make a prime rib Mexican casserole? Robert would! Looks freaking awesome man! Better watch out. Pablo Escobar is going to show up on your step wanting to Mexican grub with stuff looking that good.

Nicely done Robert, that meal looks fabulous.

Point for sure
Chris

What's not to love about that! Nice job on that...sounds like your first piece had my plating abilities written all over it!

Ryan

Another one bookedmarked for sure. Robert that looks like a meal to sit down too all the time. Nice work.
Thanks so much Cliff. It was so simple but really good. It'll get done on a regular basis, especially on days when time is short. Nothing really special about it, just a decent combination of ingredients that all went well together.

Robert

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky