Deboning a Butt

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bwsmith_2000

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jul 9, 2005
Santa Rosa Beach, Florida
I have recently read a number of recipes that called for a deboned butt. I occasionally see these in my local grocery store but most of the time they have the bone in. Is removing the bone from a butt something that can be described here? If so, would someone please give it a try. How about it Dutch (AKA former meat cutter) or any one else??

Fl. Bill

Fla. Bill- I'll give it a shot- remember now I relying on my defuncted memory 'cuz I don't have a pork butt in front of me.

When you look at the bone you will notice that the bottom of the bone is flat. Insert your knife against the bone and using it for a guide, cut through the butt if you're going to cut the butt in half. Then cut the bone away from the upper half of the butt If you want to keep the butt intact, "feel" along the bottom of the bone with the knife and basically cut around the bone.

Hope this helps and best of luck.

Additionally you want to be sure that you have a very sharp knife for the operation as well as some COTTON string to tie the butt together.
Monty

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky