Deal of the Day...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Gonna Smoke

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 19, 2018
South Carolina
...at least anywhere near me. Lowes Foods is running 80/20 ground chuck for $2.99/lb. this week so I went to pick up a couple of packs for burgers on the grill. Looking around, I found this unadvertised special...
20230508_104649[1].jpg

C.A.B. boneless chuck roast for $2.99/lb. I grabbed 2 out of the counter, which were about 2½" thick, and had them cut me one about 4" thick. These are never on sale and $2.99/lb. for any chuck roast is unheard of around me now, even for select grade. It seems that $4.99/lb. is the new "sale" price while $5.99/lb. is more common. The meat cutter said they had an overabundance of whole boneless chuck in the warehouse and were told that they would be on sale through NEXT week for this price. I'll have go back and pick up a couple more.

So if you have a Lowes Foods nearby...

I need to pick up a couple of those for a Pepper Stout Beef recipe I have.
I doubt I will be able to get them at that price.
Nice score!

Reactions: Gonna Smoke
Also, the 80/20 burger that I went to get is ground using...yep, you guessed it, the whole boneless beef chucks. He said that they normally get boxes of chubs to grind, but not now. He also told me that THEIR price on the boneless chucks is $3.89/lb. and they're losing money. If that's true, they really must be overloaded in the warehouse. Whatever, it's a win for the consumer...

Reactions: crazymoon
I've found some killer meat sales lately too. Makes it hard to buy again at normal price.

Nice! Food Lion has london broil (top round) on sale for 2.99 this week but I NEVER see chuck at 2.99

On them selling at a loss, back between '96 and '03 I worked for a huge foodservice supply company. We were big enough that we could manipulate the markets a little with supply and demand. We'd do something like buy up all of the inside rounds that we could one month and run them on sale to our customers (at cost, maybe a little under) and that would force the packers to slaughter more beefs to meet our demand. 30-45 days later all of these packers would have extra everything else. That would drive the price of loins down and guess who would come in and scoop up all the rib and short loins at that discounted price. Back in those ancient times we might get brisket at .79/lb or chucks for 1.39/lb. As an employee, I got to partake in those sales at 3% over cost. Loved it. I didn't even have to buy the case, could get one primal or a couple briskets, whatever I wanted.

We don't have any Lowe's Foods here anymore (Charlotte NC area). Used to. I have a friend with a place on Oak Island NC and they have several. I used to shop all the sales when I'd go stay there and caretake the house before she and her husband retired there full time. They had great meat and the in-house made sausage selection was superb.

GS, Nice score ! I was happy to find some 99 cent a pound pork butts recently. No deals on anything else.

Nice! Food Lion has london broil (top round) on sale for 2.99 this week but I NEVER see chuck at 2.99

On them selling at a loss, back between '96 and '03 I worked for a huge foodservice supply company. We were big enough that we could manipulate the markets a little with supply and demand. We'd do something like buy up all of the inside rounds that we could one month and run them on sale to our customers (at cost, maybe a little under) and that would force the packers to slaughter more beefs to meet our demand. 30-45 days later all of these packers would have extra everything else. That would drive the price of loins down and guess who would come in and scoop up all the rib and short loins at that discounted price. Back in those ancient times we might get brisket at .79/lb or chucks for 1.39/lb. As an employee, I got to partake in those sales at 3% over cost. Loved it. I didn't even have to buy the case, could get one primal or a couple briskets, whatever I wanted.

We don't have any Lowe's Foods here anymore (Charlotte NC area). Used to. I have a friend with a place on Oak Island NC and they have several. I used to shop all the sales when I'd go stay there and caretake the house before she and her husband retired there full time. They had great meat and the in-house made sausage selection was superb.
Biggest problem with Food Lion is that except for ribeyes and NY strips, they don't actually cut meat anymore. It's almost all pre-cut like Walmart...

GS, Nice score ! I was happy to find some 99 cent a pound pork butts recently. No deals on anything else.
Food Lion had that deal last week. They usually have 99¢/lb. butts about once a month or so. This week, they're running boneless pork loins for $1.99/lb...

• Wow
Reactions: crazymoon
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky