Dead oak tree

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

worm304

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jul 12, 2016
So, my wife is in property management. There is a dead oak tree on one of her properties that has to come down. Seems as if I may have my hands on more oak than I know what to do with. My question is, is it good or bad if it's dead? If it's dead from a disease is that something I want to avoid. I know the landscaping guys are willing to go out of their way for her but I am not sure yet if they are going to be willing to take it down to splits for me. Thanks for any insight!

If there is rot in the tree chances are some or most of it will be salvageable. You won't know until it's on the ground and cut into segments. Depending upon how long it's been "standing dead" it may be dried sufficiently to burn now.

I agree with everything above. I will add that you can rent a wood splitter to take it down to the size you want, they are very easy to use just keep your damn fingers out of the way, it doesn’t know the difference between your fingers and wood.

Thanks everyone! Let me get some more details. If it all works out and there is a butt ton of wood to be had, I would be more than happy to share some here in the Tampa area. I don't have a ton of room as it is.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky