DaWeber Lowboy project

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bluewhisper

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Apr 1, 2014
Columbus Ohio
Here's a project I've had in mind since I rescued this 1990 (date code M on the top vent) 22-inch Weber kettle. I wanted to set up a short version, to be at a convenient height for people sitting in chairs. I'll keep the original legs.

First, since the front leg had no tip on it, I got a 1-inch crutch tip for it. I wanted this because my previous kettle (code C) had a failing weld on the front leg socket, because the leg would bang on the pavement when I moved it.

So I assumed that 1-inch steel "EMT" conduit would fit the kettle leg sockets. It was too big, so that conduit went to a clothes hanging rod project for the basement.

Then I got some 3/4-inch conduit, and cut off three 11-inch sections. For some reason, I just love to play with tube cutters. It's similar to a C clamp, with a set of rollers facing a sharp cutting wheel.

tubecutter1.jpg

round and round we go

tubecutter2.jpg

I polished/washed the conduit with soapy steel wool, then painted the legs with dark gray gloss enamel. I used the Weber and the Masterbuilt as hanging points for beaded chain to hold the legs.

hangingtube.jpg

Then I got some aluminum foil tape, as is used on furnaces and duct work, to bring the conduit up to a diameter that would easily slip in and out of the sockets, but be snug enough that I could carry the kettle without the legs falling out. Back to the medical supply place to get some 3/4-inch crutch tips.

I have almost the entire roll of that tape left, so maybe I'll toy around with trying to seal the offset with it.

foil_tape.jpg

And here we are. The rim comes to 21 inches off the ground. (Stock height is 29 inches.) It happens to be almost exactly the same height as this patio fire table. When I sit in a chair, the kettle is the same height as an end table would be to a sofa.

dastubbyweber.jpg

Twelve hours after this pic was taken, we got an inch of snow.

Nice modification. We got about an inch or so of sugar snow yesterday.

Chris

The rest of the world sees something like this and they call us lazy. But Americans see this and one word comes to mind... genius! Why get up to tend to the grill? It makes no sense. It makes me angry I’ve been doing it for all these years!

Fine job!

As for the snow the Great Lakes State got some yesterday to. About an inch by me. A lot more up north. Friends packed up after work and raced up so they could get on the sleds one more time this year.

Scott

Reactions: joe black
Nice.Now you need an office chair with larger casters for grass:D
I'll have to post a pic of my "side table" that hooks on to a 22 and holds a SJ.

Yes I want some kind of side table. I can see pictures of a curved wire condiment shelf/rack but apparently Weber doesn't sell it anymore.

I made this in the mid 90s. It folds when not in use. I don't presently have a Smoky Joe to drop in for pics. The surface is 16x27. The SJ drops in and is held by it's rolled lips. My vintage Weber hinged CI grate can be seen also.
BW,sorry for the highjack.I should have started a thread.:oops:
KIMG0301.jpg
KIMG0302.jpg
KIMG0303.jpg

Original Weber cutting board / side shelf for a 22.5 inch kettle . I bought it in the early 80's . Had a bracket that attached to the kettle , but the board was removable . I don't have the bracket anymore .
20180407_193725.jpg

Original Weber cutting board / side shelf for a 22.5 inch kettle . I bought it in the early 80's . Had a bracket that attached to the kettle , but the board was removable . I don't have the bracket anymore .
View attachment 359905
I had one of those,it's what gave me the idea for my side table/burner.As I recall,the part the board fit into was chromed steel and the "kickstand leg" was aluminum.

I had one of those,it's what gave me the idea for my side table/burner.As I recall,the part the board fit into was chromed steel and the "kickstand leg" was aluminum.
I believe mine was all chrome rod . I never trusted it to hold weight . The support leg always slid down . Here's a cart I made for an old kettle I had .
20171012_124545.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky