Daves Smokehouse....Part 9 Test Runs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Looks GREAT!!!! Im a firm believer in building things the way you would want it at your house, and that my friend I would proudly have in my backyard.

Love Love the House!  DaveO.....you made me spit coffee this morning!  A Moon would look so cool!  LOL

Dave you have done an outstanding job!

Kat

Love Love the House!  DaveO.....you made me spit coffee this morning!  A Moon would look so cool!  LOL

Dave you have done an outstanding job!

Kat

Dave... Awesome. Just Awesome. 
77.gif
 You are the man.

A question for you, I am starting my build this weekend.  My smoker is going to be very similar to yours, it will be outside permanently and im going to use cedar siding and put a good roof on it.  Just wondering, where I live we get a LOT of rain so this thing needs to be able to stand up to moisture. My question do you think it would be ok to use tar paper on the exterior under the siding or a house wrap of some kind, just to help with keeping the moisture out of the structure. I don't plan on running my smoker above 210 degrees.  Also did you put a vapour barrier in between your exterior sheeting and your insulation? 

Again, looks great and thanks for any help!

A question for you, I am starting my build this weekend.  My smoker is going to be very similar to yours, it will be outside permanently and im going to use cedar siding and put a good roof on it.  Just wondering, where I live we get a LOT of rain so this thing needs to be able to stand up to moisture. My question do you think it would be ok to use tar paper on the exterior under the siding or a house wrap of some kind, just to help with keeping the moisture out of the structure. I don't plan on running my smoker above 210 degrees.  Also did you put a vapour barrier in between your exterior sheeting and your insulation? 

Are you going to line the inside with anything? If so then I don't see a problem with wrapping the outside since the smoke will never get to it and it won't get to the food.
I didn't wrap mine. The siding I got was pre-primed and I caulked all the seams and gaps real good then gave it 2 coats of paint so I don't think any moisture will be getting past the skin!

I live in the Seattle area so I feel your pain with the rain.  I have a similar smoke house build and I did not put any tar paper or wrap underneath the siding.  The siding is primed and has two coats of exterior paint.  It is insulated and has aluminum over hardie board on the inside.  It has only be outside for about 4 months but they have been very wet.  Everything seems fine.  No problems with any part of it and it holds heat wonderfully.  I was much more concerned with the roof.  I have 3/4" plywood with two layers of tar paper and then aluminum roofing.  it works great.  It sheds water and wet pine needs like a charm.

I also do use a water pan for some smokes so you are already adding moisture to the inside plus there several vents directly to the outside.  Given the purpose of the house is to control smoke and heat I think that the tar paper probably is not needed but it won't hurt anything.

Good luck with your build.

Part 6 Interior

I got a little more done this afternoon. I got all the insulation and Durock installed. I have some high temp concrete silicone I am going to cork all the seams and gaps in the Durock with. Then all I have is the rod holders to cut and install and the interior will be complete. I got all the rods this week just need to cut them to length, I also got six 15"X25" cooling racks and enough Q-Matz to cover them (Thanks Todd!) for my jerky racks. I have all the parts for the PID controller I just need to build a box to house it all, hopefully I will get that done this weekend. Here are a few pics of the interior so far:

I received the element today. I have been very concerned if it would work because I couldn't find any technical info on it and was concerned about the wiring since it will have it be inside and I want it to be temp resistant. Well I was very happy when I opened the box and saw it has HSJO cord attached which is rated at 90*C which is 194*F! WhooHoo!!! I'm not planning to ever go over 180* in the house so I am good to go!!! I might still make a heat shield for the cord just to be safe. Here's the element:

If anyone is looking at using this element for anything here is the cord just so you know:

Thanks for looking and I'll be back with more progress!

Dave did you check you with your neighborhood association to make sure all the applicable forms and permits are in order?;)    Good Job Dave, you should be proud.     BTW it would look better with a pellet pooper! :)

I don't have a neighborhood association!!!
AMNPS $35.....pellet thingy $375.....hmmmmmmmmmm
Thanks!

Awesome job...that is so sweet and I want one!
Did you get bit by the Colorado Smoking Bug ???  I hear once infected, there is no cure... LOL
I sure did and they seem to be multiplying! 
unsure.gif
 I've got the MES40, the Propane with SFB option Beast and I really want a smokehouse like Dave's or even a brick one!!!!! I just took my beef and elk pastrami out of the propane.

Last edited:
Looks good Dave. What insulation did you end up with? I may want to try and hot smoke also. Getting a 40 X 40 stainless pan for mine for drippings.  I'm going to get starting on mine in July. Working outta town til then. Looking forward to seeing how your vents work out. I was trying yo figure out how to put a stack in and the correct size but that looks way easier. Need to hurry and load it up and test it out.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky