Daves Smokehouse....Part 9 Test Runs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Very nice build Dave!

thumbsup.gif

Cool.....I am still working on Lynn to let me have a smoke house too.  Not happening yet.  Guess I can just watch yall and be happy for now.

Your smoke house is so nice neat and tidy!

Kat
Dave it's looking great. We bought the oven gasket rope or whatever it's properly known as at the local hardware store. Real cheap and works like a charm. Put it on with food safe high temp silicone (one of the perks when he works for a sheet metal company)! Anyway, get this thing done and running so I can post it to FB and Twitter!!!!!

BTW, I will have one (if I still decide I want one) before it's said and done...he just can't say no and I really don't have to work on him all that hard either!!!

Thanks Kat!!!

Thanks Todd!!!

Thanks Alesia!!!
I don't think I need any seal around the door, it ran for 3 hours last night and I didn't feel any heat whatsoever coming out around it.
It is up and running I just need to dial in the temps. It is perfect for jerky right now but I need a few more degrees for sausage.

Dave, I used nepas recipe for sticks...  140 for 24 hours.... came out perfect.....  

We got this new computer and I can't find stuff...   search, (time and temp charts non intact meats FSIS)...  generally, meats taken to 135 and held for "awhile" are safe to eat....  See the charts.....  they have charts for jerky also.....  I'm beginning to dislike this new puter....  Too old to learn a new system.....

Thanks Dave! I am very new to all this and am just going by what I have read from the trusted ones. I know nepas usually runs his PID 120*-170* until his sticks/sausage hits 152* IT, Boykjo also heats his sausage to 152* so that's why I am wanting to be able to get the chamber temps up to 170* and even 180* to be safe.

Thanks Dave! I am very new to all this and am just going by what I have read from the trusted ones. I know nepas usually runs his PID 120*-170* until his sticks/sausage hits 152* IT, Boykjo also heats his sausage to 152* so that's why I am wanting to be able to get the chamber temps up to 170* and even 180* to be safe.
LOL.......   Be sure to let me know when I fall into that group.......(trusted ones) that is....... 

Dave, Have you tried raising the element up higher in the smoker? I am thinking that if you raise it up to 12"-18" below the bottom rack you will have an easier time getting the temp up. It's a pretty big area you are trying to heat and maintain. Also wanted to say that getting the element above the CMU will help. The CMU is absorbing a bunch of your heat up front.

Last edited:
I haven't tried it yet but that was one of my ideas, raise it to make the chamber smaller.
OK you got me, what is a CMU?

I haven't tried it yet but that was one of my ideas, raise it to make the chamber smaller.
OK you got me, what is a CMU?
I was thinking he meant the concrete was acting as an heat sink. (concrete masonry unit)    Dave, also i don't know what you decided to use for airflow but those eco fans would be ideal for your situation since your heat isn't getting that high.

Last edited:
I think that's what he meant too, just trying to figure out the acronym.
I think the heat is pretty even, I had 2 probes hanging just below half way down and 1 near the top and there was only 3* difference. I didn't check down closer to the element.
I'm just using draft for airflow right now and the smoke was flowing from the bottom out the top vents real nice last night.
I might look into a fan, DaveOmak suggested the same thing somewhere.

I think that's what he meant too, just trying to figure out the acronym.
I think the heat is pretty even, I had 2 probes hanging just below half way down and 1 near the top and there was only 3* difference. I didn't check down closer to the element.
I'm just using draft for airflow right now and the smoke was flowing from the bottom out the top vents real nice last night.
I might look into a fan, DaveOmak suggested the same thing somewhere.
Yea those eco fans just aren't suited for high heat...i'm thinking the heat rating  was somewhere in the range of 200 or 250....the circuitry would fry otherwise.   I'll be getting one but more for the intended purpose, circulate heat not from a wood stove but a propane wall heater. 

Yep Concrete Masonry Unit, your foundation. When the CMU is on the ground and filled with grout (cement, concrete, etc) the mass that is there wicks up moisture (all concrete is porous). The heat that is being absorbed into the CMU is first trying to dry the or drive the moisture out of the mass. That absorbs a bunch of energy (heat). Once the moisture equalizes then the blocks can eventually heat up and then start contributing heat the chamber. What I'm saying is your foundation is working against you. I think that by moving up the element and isolating the foundation from the smoke chamber you will have better results. I'd take a piece of durorock and cut it to fit on the lip of your foundation blocks. Run the element just above it and see how that works. If that doesn't work, then move the element up in 6" increments until you can achieve the 170*-180* or whatever max temp you are looking for.

Thanks DS! That makes a lot of sense, we have had a lot of rain lately and my yard is saturated and the concrete is wet, inside too. I just happen to have a piece of Durock left over that is just about the right size, might need one cut!
Another storm moving in right now so not sure if I'll get anything done tonight.

Thanks DS! That makes a lot of sense, we have had a lot of rain lately and my yard is saturated and the concrete is wet, inside too. I just happen to have a piece of Durock left over that is just about the right size, might need one cut!
Another storm moving in right now so not sure if I'll get anything done tonight.
We've been getting rain since last Friday. We have had as much rain the last seven days as we normally get in 6 months this time of year!!! So I feel your pain! Supposed to be 90* tomorrow and 97* by Sunday, Yikes!!!

Right now the element is just sitting on a couple of concrete pavers down in the hole. If I put it up out of the hole on the Durock I will make some legs for it with 4" bolts, that way it will have an air gap between the element mounting plate and the Durock. It has to have legs or something because the way the wire comes out of it from the bottom, it can't just sit flat. I'm thinking this just might work.

What do you think of putting a 16"X16"X1/2" slate tile a couple of inches above the element as a thermal mass?

Right now the element is just sitting on a couple of concrete pavers down in the hole. If I put it up out of the hole on the Durock I will make some legs for it with 4" bolts, that way it will have an air gap between the element mounting plate and the Durock. It has to have legs or something because the way the wire comes out of it from the bottom, it can't just sit flat. I'm thinking this just might work.

What do you think of putting a 16"X16"X1/2" slate tile a couple of inches above the element as a thermal mass?
Dave, I would try it with out the slate first, just to see what happens. I like to go the "less is more route", or KISS method.  Also putting the element off the durock is a good idea and I meant to mention that earlier. There was another thread here where the guy burnt through the Durock.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky