• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Daves Smokehouse....Part 9 Test Runs

kathrynn

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Jun 13, 2012
Looking Good Dave!  Enjoying watching the progress!

Kat

bdskelly

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Feb 3, 2013
I can almost see the meat hanging inside...  Well done my friend. 

s2k9k

AMNPS Test Group
Joined Sep 8, 2011
Part 4 - Paint and Hardware

So a little more progress was made. I got it painted, the door hung, the vents installed and the seams and gaps all got corked.

The door sure was easy on the test hang but after a couple of coats of paint and the siding installed things got a lot tighter. It took a little jockeying around but I finally got it to work good. I also put aluminum screen on the inside of the vent holes, the backer board will hold it tight.

Tomorrow I want to get the roof on and trim it out with a band around the top and bottom and trim up the four corners. Then that should do it for the exterior, just waiting on the insulation so I can finish the inside. I just have to make some firm decisions on the heat!

THANKS everyone who has replied here, I appreciate your comments!!!

Last edited:

s2k9k

AMNPS Test Group
Joined Sep 8, 2011
Thanks Michael and Shoney! I was looking at the valve from TSM but to get it set up the way I would want was going to be about $200-$300 and I still wouldn't have any temp control except manual. I am really leaning towards electric. I can get a PID programmable controller and element and everything I need for less than $250 and I will have programmable temp control so I'm pretty sure I'm going that route!

daveomak

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Nov 12, 2010
Put a "quarter moon" on the door to confuse the neighbors....... LOL.....

JckDanls 07

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 10, 2011
Damn Dave.. that thing looks shiny and new ... Thumbs Up

I can almost taste the sausage already

s2k9k

AMNPS Test Group
Joined Sep 8, 2011
Well Dave, if it doesn't work right then I might be busting some concrete and digging a big hole in the middle of it!!!

Keith, it is shiny and new, needs to hurry up and get covered in smoke!!!:yahoo:

pineywoods

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
Administrator
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
OTBS Admin
Group Lead
Joined Mar 22, 2008
It looks good Dave

smoke slinger

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Nov 3, 2012
Lookin better each time you post, cant wait to see it finished and smoking up something good......

antileno

Joined May 26, 2013
I'm watching this thread closely, your smoker looks great! I am building one of my own right now and may borrow some of your ideas! I was wondering have you decided what you are going to do for racking on the inside? Also are you going to install a smoke stack out the top or just use the two vents you have up top allready? Again looks great, well done!

dward51

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Nov 24, 2011
Put a "quarter moon" on the door to confuse the neighbors....... LOL.....

Oh my.....  Dave, you just are not right, but that's funny...  That's one way to keep the neighbors from mooching product from you!

s2k9k

AMNPS Test Group
Joined Sep 8, 2011
I'm watching this thread closely, your smoker looks great! I am building one of my own right now and may borrow some of your ideas! I was wondering have you decided what you are going to do for racking on the inside? Also are you going to install a smoke stack out the top or just use the two vents you have up top allready? Again looks great, well done!
Thanks!!!

For racks I am just going to put hardwood boards on the sides to hang dowels across and if I want to use racks for jerky I will just place the rack on top of the dowels.

No stack, I think the vents will work fine and the are adjustable so I'm hoping that will help me dial in a draft.

s2k9k

AMNPS Test Group
Joined Sep 8, 2011
Part 5 - Trim and a Roof exterior is done! well almost!

So I got all the trim and the roof on today. I still want to go back and set all the nails on the trim and I have some touch up painting to do but I'm going to waith until I get the inside done in case I mess something else up!

Well I am worn out from working on this and luckily I have to go back to work tomorrow so I can get some rest!

JckDanls 07

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 10, 2011
So... when are you coming to FL. and build mine ? That thing is AWESOME... is the roof metal or wood with rolled roofing ?

s2k9k

AMNPS Test Group
Joined Sep 8, 2011
So... when are you coming to FL. and build mine ? That thing is AWESOME... is the roof metal or wood with rolled roofing ?
Thanks Keith!! The roof is just plywood with shingles. I put drip edge all the way around and overhung the shingles about a half inch.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.