Daughters Birthday Tri Tip Meal

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jcam222

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 13, 2017
Northeast Ohio
My daughters birthday was this past Monday and my grandsons (her son) was Wednesday) We haven't had any cookouts or dinners for quite awhile so decided to losen up just a tad and have them over for dinner. I didnt catch much step by step on this as I had a ton of things going on plus the prep and cook. Tri tip was smpked with B&B oak lump along with a mix of a little mesquite and some whiskey barrel oak. Smoked at 250F to about 125F and seared a bit on the hot Kamado after.

Tri tip was marinated overnight in a simple marinade:

Marinade ingredients
  • 10 cloves of garlic minced
  • 2 tsp smoked paprika
  • 4 tsp black pepper
  • 2 tbsp coarse salt
  • 1 cup olive oil
  • 6 tbsp red wine vinegar
  • 4 tsp Worcestershire sauce

Did not catch a pic of the whole tri tip before or after the cook. I marinaded both of them in zip lock bags overnight. Also made a nice homemade chimichurri to serve over the beef. Made it last night so the flavors could marry overnight.

Chimchurri Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
  • 2 tbsp chopped fresh oregano
  • 1 tsp lemon zest
  • 1 tbsp minced garlic
  • 1 tsp red pepper flake
  • 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
  • 1/2 cup EVOO
  • S&P to taste
Here is a shot before mixing and off to the frig.
od.jpg

Next up was to make a salad. I went with something a bit different making a warm red cabbage and collard green slaw.

Red Cabbage and Collard Green Slaw Ingredients
  • 1 medium head of red cabbage
  • 1 bunch of collard greens deveined and cut up into small 1 to 2 inch pieces
  • 4 tbsp olive oil
  • 1/2 lbs. bacon browned and cut up
  • salt and pepper to taste
Sauce
  • 1 cup of apple cider vinegar
  • 1/4 cup sugar free ketchup
  • 1 tbsp Swerve brown sugar sub
  • 1 tbsp Allulose (white sugar sub of any kind)
  • 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
  • 1 tsp kosher salt
  • 1/2 tsp black pepper
Cut cabbage into into about 1" thick slices drizzle with 2 tbs olive oil and salt and pepper. Bake at 400F until the bottoms of the slices start to get a nice brown color. push together in center of the pan and surround with the collard greens. Drizzle them with the balance of the oil. Bake until the collard starts to get cripsy around the edges. Transfer to a cutting board and get a nice slaw size chop on them. Mix all the sauce ingredients and the toss the warm slaw with the sauce and bacon pieces. Save a little bacon for garnish when serving. Here is a pic of the slaw prior to mixing in the sauce.

slaw in process.jpg

I wanted to serve a bunch of grilled veggies so today was the perfect time to try out this big grill basket I have. I cut up zucchini, yellow squash , plenty of red onion and also have a nice big amount of mix color cherry tomatoes. Here are shots of the raw veggies and the deliciousness after the hot grilling in my Vison Kamado. Tomatoes were added to the basket towards the end when the rest of the veggies were close to ready. I did a ton of these and am very glad I did they are awesome.
veggies.jpg

veggies cooked.jpg

I did a Tex Mex cheddar zuchinni fritter for an appetizer that I did by "feel" as opposed to recipe. Shredded zucchini squeezed dry, a cup or so of shredded cheddar , 1 egg, , crushed bbq pork rinds and almond flour until I got a consistency I thought would bake and hold. Added some chopped green onion and cumin for flavor. Also did a sugar free lemon cheesecake mousse that was the bomb. Will share the recipe on that at the end.

So here we go with plating first up is the appetizer. The zucchini cheddar fritter with some salsa verde , red pepper and sour cream. My grandson wolfed 3 of these. They ended up being quite the hit despite my thinking they may not be a home run.
IMG_3927.jpg

Next up is the warm red cabbage and collard slaw. This went over well but was especially a smash hit with my wife. I will have to make this again I have been told lol.

IMG_3932.jpg

Main coarse up next. Medium rare tri tip served on a bed of grille d veggies dressed up with some delicious chimichurri sauce.

IMG_3938.jpg

Lastly the dessert. This stuff is off the hook creamy delicious!! Dressed up the sugar free lemon cheesecake mousse with some freshly whipped cream , blueberries and mint leaf. This dessert will be happening much more often too. My daughter , boyfriend and grandson were blown away that it was sugar free.

IMG_3940.jpg

IMG_3941.jpg

Thats it folks. Overall pretty close to a grand slam homer meal. Every piece of the meal is a keeper for future meals. I had done none of these before today. Thanks for looking!! Cheesecake mousse recipe below.

Lemon cheesecake mousse ingredients
  • 16 oz. softened cream cheese
  • 1 cup of allulose (can use any sugar sub, reduce if you like it less sweet)
  • 2 1/2 tsp lemon extract
  • 2 cups heavy whipping cream
  • Yellow food coloring
Mix the cheese in a bowl with the allulose, lemon extract until nice and smooth. In a separate bowl whip the heavy cream until you get nice stiff white peaks. Fold half the mixture into the cheese and when well distributed fold in the rest. Whip again with blender adding yellow food coloring until you get the color desired. Once nice and whipped refrigerate for a minimum of 2 hours. I spooned it into serving cups for the ones I needed for dinner. Garnish with lemon, blueberry and mint.

Holy smokes, that's a great looking cook. Love the colors especially.

Reactions: jcam222
WOW! Really nice meal...JJ

Hey Jeff...I'm up for adoption and my birthday is coming up...hint hint :emoji_wink: Seriously my friend, another absolutely stunning, carousel worthy meal. Excellent job on the cook and as always, a beautiful presentation.

Robert

Wow Jeff, everything looks amazing!! I love making chimichurri when grilling beef.

Thats a hell of a birthday meal!

Hell of a birthday meal Jeff! I am sure your family thoroughly enjoyed it without a hitch. Points all around and thanks for posting the recipes!

My GOD that looks scrumptious! After my diet , I'm going to try some of those lemon cheesecake mousse!!!

Nice job on the cookout! Happy belated birthday to your daughter and grandson.

Looks absolutely beautiful and delicious jeff!
Holy smokes, that's a great looking cook. Love the colors especially.
WOW! Really nice meal...JJ
No doubt, what a great Birthday meal.:emoji_thumbsup:
Hey Jeff...I'm up for adoption and my birthday is coming up...hint hint :emoji_wink: Seriously my friend, another absolutely stunning, carousel worthy meal. Excellent job on the cook and as always, a beautiful presentation.

Robert
Awesome great meal
Hey my birthday is in a couple weeks I would love that meal And so is chef JJ's.

Warren
Wow Jeff, everything looks amazing!! I love making chimichurri when grilling beef.

Thats a hell of a birthday meal!
Great looking meal,
WOW! Looks Incredible!
Hell of a birthday meal Jeff! I am sure your family thoroughly enjoyed it without a hitch. Points all around and thanks for posting the recipes!
Jeff, really nice lookin' dishes there!

I bet everyone was in a food coma afterwards..... :emoji_laughing:

Nice job on the step by step instruction and recipes.

BIG LIKE!

John
Damn! That is just awesome! Very colorful pictures. Looks very tasty!
My GOD that looks scrumptious! After my diet , I'm going to try some of those lemon cheesecake mousse!!!

Nice job on the cookout! Happy belated birthday to your daughter and grandson.
Thanks all for the kind words. The meal was definitely tasty from the reviews at the table :). Likely making more of the warm slaw for my wife this weekend.

Incredible cook and post all the way around, every course is a masterpiece, Like!
Not sure how I missed this, but what a great birthday meal!!
Haha thanks guys. I think this was revived because I shared the recipe with Ray and a few others today. The warm slaw is awesome and very different than the traditional sides. One of my more detailed posts. When work settles down maybe I can get back to more of these!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky