Dark Ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

danbono

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Feb 19, 2012
North New Jersey Paramus
Hi All

Been smoking for about 2 years now.My ribs whether they were Baby Backs or Spares/cut down to St Louis, always seam to come out on dark side.

I've tried different rubs and some times just Montreal Seasoning. I get the same results if do them in a smoker or the oven. Even tried different woods..Apple/Cherry/Pecan

Tried different temps. Last time in the oven I went with the 3-2-1 method, with the same results.

Any tips or suggestions for getting my ribs the red color I'm looking for?

The 3rdpic is what I'm looking for?

Thanks Dan

Last edited:
I use John Henry's Pecan Rub and it puts a nice redish/orangeish color on my ribs.  As you can see in the attached picture, even though I've got sauce on them, the color of the ribs looks nice.  This is a rack of St Louis ribs cut in half.  I use EVOO on the ribs so that a nice thick coat of rub can be applied.  Also used Rufus Teague's sweet honey sauce on them. Like this sauce because it's nice and thick and caramelizes real nice on ribs.

Last edited:

Hmmmm, interesting question.  My first thought is use less rub.  Most of the rub recommendations I've read say to use a lot of rub.  I found that WAY too overpowering on flavor no matter what rub I use.  Consequently I've adapted the following process.  I stopped rubbing the night before and storing in the frig.  Instead I fire up the smoker, get the cryovac ribs out of the frig, clean, dry, use a very light seasoned olive oil coat, then apply a light sprinkle with my rub. Then on to the smoker they go.  Meat temp is usually about 39F-43F when they go on the grill.   I've also returned to doing my ribs at 215F-230F instead of higher temps.  Much less chance of burning the sugar in the rub.  3 racks take 5.5 to 6 hours on a 22.5" Weber Kettle with a Smokenator.

My SLC ribs are definitely less dark and more of that orange-ish color you show above, but I can get dark ends depending how I load the grill.  They're bright brownish-red though after I apply my sauce preference and let it carmelize on the ribs in the smoker for about 30 minutes..

Last edited:
~~Quit using that Darth Vader rub!!
Hi I never used the Darth Vader rub.

Hi All Thanks for all the suggestions/opinions..Next time 2 racks 1 will have No rub on all, just sauced at the end, the other will be rubbed. Then I can see if it's the rubs or the temps causing the dark ribs. Finished the ribs last night, tasted pretty good,. Maybe this color thing is way over blown by me.

Thanks Dan

Last edited:
I think the BBQ authorities throw you pit prison if you smoke ribs with NO rub.  Better use a light dusting just to stay legal.
thumb1.gif

Hi All Thanks for all the suggestions/opinions..Next time 2 racks 1 will have No rub on all, just sauced at the end, the other will be rubbed. Then I can see if it's the rubs or the temps causing the dark ribs. Finished the ribs last night, tasted pretty good,. Maybe this color thing is way over blown by me.
Thanks Dan

Thanks Dan
Not a Star Wars fan?

DanBono,

Do you foil your ribs to finish?  I foil most all the meats that I smoke and the color going in and the color coming out is drastically different, much darker.

Call me crazy but your ribs look perfect to me.  I usually shoot for a nice mahogany brown which is exactly what I see in your pictures. The big question is how do you like the taste? If you're getting the same unwanted color in the oven as you are in the smoker, I'd have to guess it's a rub issue. Try Using a rub comprised of 2 parts paprika, 1 half part black pepper and one half to one part salt and see if that gets you closer. The paprika should stay red without burning at smoker temps.

Hi All And a Very Happy New Year to ALL.
I just put 2 racks of Smithfield extra meaty pork loin/Baby backs in the oven at 225 temp. 1 rack was rubbed with McCormicks Cowboy Rub the other No rub at all.
Going to cook at 225 for 3Hrs, then wrap in foil with ,Agave/butter/honey and brown sugar, for 2 Hrs, then 1 more hr unfoiled. Or maybe just foil 1 rack.
Will post back with the results..No pics ,cause my computer is in being fixed.
Will try and get some pics later.
Thanks Dan

Hi All Update on the ribs. After 1 1/2 hrs in the oven the rack with the rub turned darkest while the other looked sickly so I sprinkled some rub on them.
Looks like it is NOT a temp thing, but a rub thing.THey were Smithfields Extra meaty,should have call extra fatty, never seen sooooo fat on Baby Backs
Thanks Dan

Last edited:
Hi All I got a rack of Baby Backs n St Louis ribs. Going to hit them good with some smoked paprika and rub. Hope to get the COS smoker going this time.Will post back with pics when I get started.
Thanks Dan

k2 guy:

I've been getting my St Louis ribs at differnet supermarkets. Some times I buy the whole spares and   cut them down to get the St Louis ribs, take off as much as fat I can..Still at times they are fatty,tried cooking/smoking at different temps to render more of the fat off.

Thanks Dan

Hi Here is the start of my ribs & Butt. Butt was rubbed with McCormicks Cowboy rub and a heavy dose of smoked paprika.
The St Louis ribs were rubbed with Texas BBQ rub and a heavy dose of smoked paprika.
The Bay Backs wre rubbed with McCormicks Pork rub and a heavy dose of smoked Paprika.
The butt was put into the smoker at 8 AM, the ribs went on at 10Am.
DanB

PS How do I delete the extra pic on the bottom?

5 lb Butt

Babby Backs on top

On the smoker

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky