Dark chewy casings

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Dabutcher

Smoke Blower
Original poster
May 31, 2021
I need some help guys . I made some smoked polish yesterday and although everything seems to be good with the flavor and texture by the time the sausage is done the casings are a little dark and chewy . I smoked them at 135 degrees at about an hour and a half and rasised the temp 10 degrees every hour to a maximum of 165 . I pouched them after they reached 140 in 170 degee water to a temp of 154 and put them in a ice bath . Whats the best way to them from getting too dark and getting a softer bite on the casings . By the way the casings were from high mountain and were hog casings . Thanks guys
20210725_143140.jpg

Those casings, as many other small package home user type casings are very dry from being packed in salt. You need to plan ahead when making good sausage. No spur of the moment not at least for quality. Read this link on how to prepare and store casings. You will be much more successful for it.

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/how-to-handle-natural-casings.159729/
Ill check it out . I soaked them for a couple days and rinsed them inside and out a couple of times . Maybe its better to stay away from salted casings

Those casings, as many other small package home user type casings are very dry from being packed in salt. You need to plan ahead when making good sausage. No spur of the moment not at least for quality. Read this link on how to prepare and store casings. You will be much more successful for it.

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/how-to-handle-natural-casings.159729/
I read that post on casings . That may be the issue . I think im goind to start soaking them alot longer .

Reactions: SmokinEdge
if the casings do not look white and are silky smooth, they are not ready to be stuffed. dry salted casings have a yellowish look to them and take a while to rehydrate.

if the casings do not look white and are silky smooth, they are not ready to be stuffed. dry salted casings have a yellowish look to them and take a while to rehydrate.
How long do you soak your casings before using them

if the casings do not look white and are silky smooth, they are not ready to be stuffed.
Yup . I store mine wet . Always ready . It's a game changer . That's one strand on the horn .
20200420_102842.jpg
170 degee water to a temp of 154
That's to hot and to long . You were already almost done . That 170 temp is for poached from raw .
When I SV I use a temp of 140 and go by the time at that temp for the size of the casing .
I stopped that bump 10 minutes every hour for smoked sausage . I dry / smoke at 130 for 2 or 3 hours . Then bump to 145 and hold it there for 30 minutes . Then I go straight to 160 to get the color I want . Pull and into the sv .
20201028_164422.jpg

Yup . I store mine wet . Always ready . It's a game changer . That's one strand on the horn .
View attachment 505517

That's to hot and to long . You were already almost done . That 170 temp is for poached from raw .
When I SV I use a temp of 140 and go by the time at that temp for the size of the casing .
I stopped that bump 10 minutes every hour for smoked sausage . I dry / smoke at 130 for 2 or 3 hours . Then bump to 145 and hold it there for 30 minutes . Then I go straight to 160 to get the color I want . Pull and into the sv .
View attachment 505525
When you poach is it in a vacuum pack bag . Ive never tried that

View attachment 505517

View attachment 505525
Also when you store them wet do you store them in salted water and when you are ready to use them soak and rinse in cold water . Thanks

Reactions: chopsaw
How long do you soak your casings before using them
My casings stay in brine solution 24/7/365....until I am ready to use them. I flush twice in cold water then soak for a minimum of 2 days.

The beef middles I buy for salami come in a hank packed in dry salt. When I get them, I transfer to a bucket with salt brine. I let them rehydrate for 2 months in the salt brine before I use them. Then when I need some, I follow the above and soak for 2 days in cold water.

My casings stay in brine solution 24/7/365....until I am ready to use them. I flush twice in cold water then soak for a minimum of 2 days.

The beef middles I buy for salami come in a hank packed in dry salt. When I get them, I transfer to a bucket with salt brine. I let them rehydrate for 2 months in the salt brine before I use them. Then when I need some, I follow the above and soak for 2 days in cold water.
Thankyou for all the help. Im sure the casings needed to be soaked longer . They taste fine just a little tuff

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky