Dang, Ny'ers

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Well I ended up buying one. Got the 5x8. Will probably be trying it tomorrow, as we decided over wings and beer at lunch, we should have pulled pork and sides tomorrow.

Do you guys have a problem with air flow? Do you leave the chip tube out? I was just wondering if I would disconnect my cold smoker I have now, or if I can just have the ash tray open for air flow.

Also, any preferences on pellets, or should any hardwood/fruit wood pellet work fine? The local Ace hardware carries Trager pellets in the 18lb. bag, figure that would hold me over for a bit.

Thanks guys. If we get creative, I will be sure to take some pictures.

No air flow issues for me. I pull the chip tube out about two inches as well as the chip tray inside the smoker.

I also ordered my pellets from A-MAZE-N. I have no experience with the Traeger pellets.

I look forward to seeing some of those photos!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve seen plenty of people who just put it in the main smoking chamber. Since I don’t have the Masterbuilt cold smoker attachment, I use the mailbox mod and never have an issue with air flow. I would not recommend leaving the stock chip tube feeder out as you’ll lose a lot of heat with it out.

So, I ended up getting apple wood pellets, because I figured they would be better acrosss the board than the mesquite. Especially for cheeses and stuff. Only ended up doing a batch of beans in the smoker tonight, because my brother in law showed up with a 9lb boneless ribeye roast (who am I to turn down a bunch of thick steaks!)

Only filled the first row and touched it off. It ended up making smoke for nearly 4 hours! Very impressed!

Already looking forward to trying some cheese or something like that soon. I really like how I don't have my garage filling with smoke from all the leaks in the MES cold box.

Sweener, I'd suggest waiting for fall or winter to smoke cheese as it very temperature sensitive and it doesn't take much to get it sweating oils etc.  After a few cheese smokes you can decide how warm it can be without pushing your luck too much.

Lance

Sweener, I'd suggest waiting for fall or winter to smoke cheese as it very temperature sensitive and it doesn't take much to get it sweating oils etc.  After a few cheese smokes you can decide how warm it can be without pushing your luck too much.

Lance

That's what I was thinking Lance. With the location of my smoker, I will probably wait until early fall when it's not as hot through the day. Until then, I want to try some Canadian bacon and snack sticks.

Sweener

Good luck with the Canadian bacon and snack sticks.

You can smoke the cheese anytime the nights get cool enough to have both cool air and a cool smoker .  Cheese smoking times are short enough that a late evening smoke is easy to do.

A small hot plate with a small pan for wood chips set under a bottomless box that has a few dowels stuck through the sides to hold a rack works just fine for a cold smoker for cheese.  A tall skinny box works best as it lets you give the smoke a chance to cool before reaching the cheese.  The cooler the smoke and the cheese are the better and a little bit of smoke goes a long way.  Use a light touch to start as it is easy to make the cheese bitter and you can always hit it with more smoke but you can't take smoke out of it.

My experience is to let the cheese mellow for a day before tasting it as it seems to be more bitter fresh from the smoke but mellows with a day to rest.  The rest also lets the smoke penetrate some and evens out the flavor.

Good quality cheese is your best bet.  I prefer a mild or medium cheddar, a Colby or something like a Gouda.  I haven't been able to warm up to Swiss but your mileage may vary.

Lance

Rookie smoker here from a hill-town in Albany County. Bought a Masterbuilt vertical charcoal smoker about a month ago. Learning curve, but having a blast learning, and keeping a journal on my smokes.
Going to smoke a couple turkey wings and legs this Saturday ( weather permitting ). Will be my 4th smoke. Looking forward to learning and maybe even passing along anything I pick up with others.

Finally getting cool enough to do some cheese. Planning on doing a large variety to give out as gifts. Last year I smoked cheese with the mailbox mod and it worked beautifully. Hardest part is waiting at least 6 weeks for the resting period.

Rookie smoker here from a hill-town in Albany County. Bought a Masterbuilt vertical charcoal smoker about a month ago. Learning curve, but having a blast learning, and keeping a journal on my smokes.
Going to smoke a couple turkey wings and legs this Saturday ( weather permitting ). Will be my 4th smoke. Looking forward to learning and maybe even passing along anything I pick up with others.

Hope the weather is better for you guys down there than it has been for us this week. Ended up getting about 5” of rain between Sunday and Monday! The journal is a great idea, I actually started doing it after my first cheese run.

And Lancer, the Canadian Bacon was a HUGE hit. I am on the constant lookout for pork loin sales now...and in fact have family on the look out as well (so I can make them some!).

NYC Here>> Queens to be exact. Love my Snack Sticks , Kabanosky and Bacon. Running a MES 30 with a mailbox mod and amnps .
Just found the NY group

Sweener, it ended up being pretty cold and windy. Skin on the turkey was like chewing a tire tube. I have to mad e a few mods to that smoker. Hopefully, the new propane smoker will help in those colder windy days.

NYC Here>> Queens to be exact. Love my Snack Sticks , Kabanosky and Bacon. Running a MES 30 with a mailbox mod and amnps .
Just found the NY group

Welcome aboard nyc oz!

Sweener, it ended up being pretty cold and windy. Skin on the turkey was like chewing a tire tube. I have to mad e a few mods to that smoker. Hopefully, the new propane smoker will help in those colder windy days.

That's a bummer on the skin, and one that I always fear doing a bird of any kind in mine. We were in fact going to smoke the turkeys this year as well, but went with the trash can approach, and they turned out GREAT!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky