Dang! It's cold out!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Steve H

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Feb 18, 2018
Newark New York
Woke up early. And looked outside. -15F. Now it's -3F without wind. Looked at the driveway.
Convinced myself that it really doesn't need to be blown. And getting a batch of chili going would be much more fun!

P2040207.JPG

Browned 2 pounds of GB. Added a pound of sliced Kielbasa, kidney, pinto and navy beans, tomato puree and spices. Will thicken with tomato paste if needed. On low for 10 hours. We'll need it after coming back from seeing the grandkids!

Last edited:
I hear ya...it's 21 with a "feels like" of 15. We don't live like this here. Negative any temp is right out! I'm doing IP navy bean soup later, and gonna toss either a bird or some cut of beef on the spinner.

I hear ya...it's 21 with a "feels like" of 15. We don't live like this here. Negative any temp is right out! I'm doing IP navy bean soup later, and gonna toss either a bird or some cut of beef on the spinner.
Sounds like a good plan to me! I was thinking about bean soup. But went this route instead. Both will do the trick!

GEEEEE Steve... Thanks for sending the cold weather down here... It's a chilly 52` this morning... I might have to put a long sleeve shirt on (along with my shorts) ...
Lol, sorry! Tomorrow it'll be 50 here with rain. That'll melt the snow. Strange weather.

Looks good Steve, -7 at my house this morning, guess it's better then -15.at least the wind died down.

That looks like a great start to warming the bones later .
We had that yesterday . Made it up to 26 . Had soup and grilled cheese .
I like all the different beans in that chili . That's gonna be good . Waiting for the finish .

Looks good Steve, -7 at my house this morning, guess it's better then -15.at least the wind died down.
Thanks Jim! Wind settled down here too.
That looks like a great start to warming the bones later .
We had that yesterday . Made it up to 26 . Had soup and grilled cheese .
I like all the different beans in that chili . That's gonna be good . Waiting for the finish .
Thanks Rich! I'll have plated shots later. MO is pretty well known for big swings in the weather. I went to basic training there in Jan. 60's one day. Minus 30 with windchill a few days later. They cancelled all training that day because it was so bad out!

Reactions: chopsaw
Sure looks good Steve! Heck, I woke up to 13 degrees... I was happy! That's warmer than yesterday's high, and no 30 mph winds.
Yep, a big bowl of chili and fresh buttered bread!

Ryan

Gonna make the attempt to do some burgers on the grill tonight.Hope the propane gets to flowing otherwise its in the Ninja they go.

Reactions: chopsaw
I'll be doing burgers on the Weber tonight, weather is quite a bit different here. RAY

Nice Steve… love me a bowl of some warm chili! That is gonna be tasty!

The other day it was -43 at the house… the truck almost said “F” you when starting it! Then out to work on the desert, it’s generally colder out there… with wind chill was round -60! Too damn cold for this redneck!

Sure looks good Steve! Heck, I woke up to 13 degrees... I was happy! That's warmer than yesterday's high, and no 30 mph winds.
Yep, a big bowl of chili and fresh buttered bread!

Ryan
Thanks Ryan! Came home a few minutes ago. And the kitchen smells good!

Gonna make the attempt to do some burgers on the grill tonight.Hope the propane gets to flowing otherwise its in the Ninja they go.
Grilled burgers would taste good. Hope it works out for you!
Sorry. Quoted twice.
I'll be doing burgers on the Weber tonight, weather is quite a bit different here. RAY
Lol! Just a little different!

Reactions: sawhorseray
Nice Steve… love me a bowl of some warm chili! That is gonna be tasty!

The other day it was -43 at the house… the truck almost said “F” you when starting it! Then out to work on the desert, it’s generally colder out there… with wind chill was round -60! Too damn cold for this redneck!
Thanks Justin! Dang! The coldest I've ever been in was -30 windchill.

Reactions: Rafter H BBQ
Just what the doctor 👨‍⚕️ referred on a cold day! Looks great Steve. Warming up into double digits here in Ohio today finally.

Reactions: crazymoon
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky