Cutting Wood

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Brisketandbutts

Original poster
Jun 19, 2018
Hello everyone,

I was curious what you guys use to cut your wood. Sometimes depending on how my fire is burning, I want to add a smaller chunk of wood so I cut one of the logs in half. What do you guys use to cut your Oaks and stuff? I was looking at buying a Miter/Chop Saw for this, I'm not sure what size to get but my local Home Depot has a 10 inch blade Ryobi Miter Saw on sale for $129 and I was thinking that this may be sufficient. Any input on what you guys use would be great.

Thanks!

12” would be better but 10” works also just depends on the size chunks u want. Cut with the axe to reduce the diameter then chop saw is what I do. Another way is cut 2”-3” cookies with your chainsaw let dry 2-6 months then cut size the pizza you need. This speed dries the wood also
E80BA789-E2F5-4156-A148-577EEED5A6A6.jpeg
63643C1A-CAD8-4E07-8B36-6E59CC3C00B5.jpeg
CEBA40E1-239C-46D6-AC3D-BF23594DD95B.jpeg
speed drying this cherry and it will be very easy to break into chunks with the axe on a little splitting stump.
7ECF273B-4616-47C8-8B88-844D3F78E460.jpeg
I get some nice chunks out if this and will crack easy with a axe

Last edited:
I either split my wood down to a smaller split, or for my gasser I use a chop saw to make 1" thick discs.
I think you will be happier with a 12" chop saw. I have both a 12" & a 10", and a lot of times the 10" won't go all the way thru.
Al

When I used to make a lot of chunks for people I used either the chop saw (like others said) or a Sawzall and put the wood in a vise to hold it for me. If going the chop saw route like others said get the 12" I already had the tools and use them for other projects to.
Since usually dealing with logs or whole trees to get wood for my Lang I use a chain saw and wood splitter and I can make small enough diameter splits with it nothing else is required.

For a chopping block I just use a nice tough looking piece of oak. Nice and light for moving around when putting it away. Used to use a bigger one but it not needed unless it stays in the same spot. I keep in the garage and move it around, might look little small but works good
8E6A9EBE-3764-4342-80FD-7973DA9308E7.jpeg
29B3474E-81E6-4448-8ABA-5E35B366D85B.jpeg

Awesome, thank you everyone for the replies. I recently ordered a new stick burner that is quite a bit larger than what I have dealt with in the past. I'm hoping my presplit logs from my wood guy will work because it is a larger smoker, but will look into a good axe and stump to split as needed and then wait for a 12-inch miter saw to go on sale or to find one used in my area. Thanks!

A good size hatchet is enough for resplitting the wood. But normal axe works aswell. If you got some really tough stuff you can barrow my 24 pound maul. What kind of wood are u cooking with?
8B17F9F3-5B6E-4AD1-8E91-8F611537F2F4.jpeg
0AFCDD49-222C-43F6-BC78-A024B384438B.jpeg

Last edited:
I'm looking at Oak primarily, I may look into expanding to other woods as my wood guy gets more.

Apology to OP.
I misread your question as chainsaw, not chop saw.
Chop saw is a handy tool. Agree with others, "bigger is better".

I use my chainsaw with stihl bar oil and no problems
I don't have a problem with anyone using a chainsaw for smoking wood. Just my preference to use other tools that don't leave residue.
I would gladly eat your food if you invited me for supper.

Reactions: motolife313
I use a kindling cracker to get them down to size, then a chop saw if I want them shorter.
Just be careful with the chop saw or miter saw. The split can kick back easily if you don't pay attention or get a split that is splitting already.

Reactions: Retired Spook
I use a kindling cracker to get them down to size, then a chop saw if I want them shorter.
Just be careful with the chop saw or miter saw. The split can kick back easily if you don't pay attention or get a split that is splitting already.

Cutting irregular shaped pieces is primary cause of the kickbacks. Right as the cut ends, one piece will move into the blade.

I don't cut all the way through the piece. I stop with 1/8" or 1/4" left, then break them apart by hand. I'm not building furniture, so perfect cuts aren't necessary.

Reactions: Newglide
I use either a Dewalt 12" sliding compound miter saw or a Stihl 12" corded electric chainsaw and a bar clamp to hold whatever I am cutting. I prefer the chainsaw.

Reactions: Smokin Okie
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky