cutting fatties

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dsmitty

Original poster
Nov 15, 2010
Bellaire Oh
So I am new to all of this... smoking in general (picking up my first smoker tonight) I have been grilling for over 10 years now and just got the itch to smoke.... but what is the secret to cutting these fatties once they are done?? I would think the bacon would rip/crumble depending on its "doneness"??

Also, is it safe to just go with an internal temperature on these? Given that everything on the inside does not have to be cooked or is already pre-cooked.. .say go with an internal of 165 or whats the secret?

icon_cool.gif

First off welcome to SMF. Now cutting a fattie the only thing really needed is a good sharp knife. Then bacon and the sausage/hamburger meat will stiffen up some what during the whole smoking process thus making it easy to cut into/carve. Now for the intrnal temp if you look in the forum main page you will see the wiki section. Look up in there the temp log and that will give you the USDA re commanded temps for most all meats that we smoke. So go throw something in the smoker and and if you have any questions just post them here and we will answer them for you. Now go 

I just use the same electric knife i use for everything else.

Welcome to SMF

I have very sharp knives so it is not an issue. If your knives are not sharp I would recommend a cerrated knife (like a tomato or bread knife) to eliminate the tearing with a dull knife

I've seen some first fatties that i needed my sawzall w an 8"wood blade to cut. LOL

I've found the bacon retains some flexibility and doesn't crumble on you. A serrated knife also works fine. Regarding the temp, at a smoker temp of 250*, I've found fatties get up to an internal of 165* while the bacon still doesn't look completely done to me, so I let them go until I ilke the way the bacon looks.

Welcome to SMF, Glad to have you with us.

This is the place to learn, lots of good info and helpful friendly Members.

For those of you new to Smoking, be sure to check out Jeff's 5 Day Smoking Basics eCourse.

Click Here it's "FREE" ... 5 Day eCourseE

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky