Cutting boards

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cooter79

Fire Starter
Original poster
Oct 9, 2020
Looking for recommendations on a new cutting board. Would like something for cutting cooked/raw meats but also good for cutting veggies. Been looking at end grain cutting boards as well as long grain cutting boards.

I like heavy plastic for raw meat and bamboo for veggies and cooked meats . plastic does deteriorate over the years and will need replaced like wooden boards, never had a high dollar 1 but they are out there

Here are a couple sites to look at for quality boards.

Should I use two boards, one for raw meat and one for vegetables?
This is a popular idea. But proper sanitation and cleaning will reduce the chances for cross contamination. To be sure, cut the raw vegetables first then raw meats. Wash thoroughly and sanitize accordingly.

my plastic one has groove around and i have sanded it several times, its pretty big. and like above like bamboo

I make my own , but have an old one that I still use the most . I have a plastic one I use for veggies .
I add a juice groove and non skid feet to mine , but could leave the feet off and use it 2 sided . Groove side for meats , flat side for veg and stuff . Groove = carving board , no groove = cutting board . Just in case you get to looking and wonder what the difference is .
I like the edge grain boards myself . These are dusty from sitting in the shop .
20201024_132041.jpg 20201024_132050.jpg
Fresh coat of board oil .
20200101_131838.jpg

Looking for recommendations on a new cutting board. Would like something for cutting cooked/raw meats but also good for cutting veggies. Been looking at end grain cutting boards as well as long grain cutting boards.

Chop makes some beautiful boards. If you sweet talk him maybe you can work out a deal.

Chris

Reactions: chopsaw
I make my own , but have an old one that I still use the most . I have a plastic one I use for veggies .
I add a juice groove and non skid feet to mine , but could leave the feet off and use it 2 sided . Groove side for meats , flat side for veg and stuff . Groove = carving board , no groove = cutting board . Just in case you get to looking and wonder what the difference is .
I like the edge grain boards myself . These are dusty from sitting in the shop .
View attachment 468030 View attachment 468031
View attachment 468034
Those look really nice.

When I remodeled the kitchen there was a chunk or granite countertop left that was cut and turned into a cutting board. I also have a bunch of cheap plastic ones I use for awhile then toss.

I have all the tools and lumber to make one but most of my projects are furniture related. I keep trying to set aside time and material for one but always give it up to another project. Probably going to do a walnut/maple with a hint of cherry end grain with a juice groove.

We've got 8 plastic boards of 4 different sizes. They are used only once for vegetables or meat before being sanitized in the dishwasher. Also have a bamboo board I've never used. And a large heavy Corian board that I use when I bake bread, pie crusts, cookies, etc.

I use bamboo boards. Cheap and they last a long time.

I was a Scoutmaster and had the boys use separate plastic ones for meat and veggies. Changed out often.

chopsaw chopsaw Those are beautiful boards.

When I remodeled the kitchen there was a chunk or granite countertop left that was cut and turned into a cutting board. I also have a bunch of cheap plastic ones I use for awhile then toss.
Granite cutting/carving board? Not in my kitchen.

View attachment 468030 View attachment 468031
View attachment 468034
Beautiful boards. How can I get you to make me one!

think of your ur knives edge against hard surface, ouch. plastic isnt cheap its cuttable. granite is not. blades like to cut, bamboo n plastic take a slice of life... granite n corian take ur edge.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky