Cutting board that doesn’t break the bank

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Thanks for enlightening the others on what it takes - still a lot more work than what your photos show.

Exactly!
Chopsaw did a Great job of showing the "short version" of crafting a wood cutting board.
Making one larger (18" X 30") would add much to that, as would making them with end-grain as the cutting surface.

Bear

I picked up the bamboo board that I have right before T-Giving at a local Aldi, its 18 X 20-something for about $11.00.

Holding up very well so far, no cracks / chips warpage like I expected there to be.

Moral of the story - Be surprised where you can find a good deal

Exactly!
Chopsaw did a Great job of showing the "short version" of crafting a wood cutting board.
Making one larger (18" X 30") would add much to that, as would making them with end-grain as the cutting surface.

Bear

Those are some beautiful boards by chopsaw chopsaw . Cutting boards are one of my favorite workshop projects as well. Since mine are usually given as gifts, I also favor gluing up multiple widths and colors of wood, which does add to cost and complexity.

Like many hobbyists, I'm limited by the 13" width of my planer, though I'm thinking of doing wider cutting boards in two pieces then gluing them together. It'll take more sanding to get it right, but might be worth the effort.

Those are some beautiful boards by chopsaw chopsaw . Cutting boards are one of my favorite workshop projects as well. Since mine are usually given as gifts, I also favor gluing up multiple widths and colors of wood, which does add to cost and complexity.

Like many hobbyists, I'm limited by the 13" width of my planer, though I'm thinking of doing wider cutting boards in two pieces then gluing them together. It'll take more sanding to get it right, but might be worth the effort.
Be wary of doing this if you have no way to flatten it afterwards.

Given the size, probably doesn't fit in the dishwasher so hand wash only, correct?
Not only does it not fit in the dishwasher, it mostly does it not fit in the sink, I have to stand it on end but I have a nice routine. However, that slight inconvenience is not a problem.
I have an actual cutting block from a meat department almost exactly like this...
1645549241579.png

It has 2 removeable HPDE boards that are 30"x24"x¾" each. I wash the boards in the bath tub...

You can certainly do that . Just glue up your halves at 12 1/2 " and run them thru the planer together , so you match the thickness . Sister them together using a straight edge 90 degrees to the joint on the surface of the board . I use wax paper here so the glue doesn't get to them . Then it's just some hand work to even it out . I did that with this coffee table top . Ran 2 halves then put it together .
1645550936923.jpeg

I made this from a section of PVC pipe and 2 plumbing test plugs . A cordless drill and a handle . I have several sizes of these .
Messy , but it works great .
1645551023858.jpeg
I've since bought this . Some of the best money I've ever spent .
16 / 32 drum sander . Open on one side , so you run half , then flip and run the other half .

1645551672821.jpeg

Last edited:
My bucket list has always included:
Make a 24”X36”x2” end grain board.
I have access to a large commercial wood shop, and other than being lazy & the cost of hardwood, it should have been done by now. Maybe next summer?
Al

Reactions: kilo charlie
My bucket list has always included:
Make a 24”X36”x2” end grain board.
I have access to a large commercial wood shop, and other than being lazy & the cost of hardwood, it should have been done by now. Maybe next summer?
Al

With those dimensions you'd have to think about how you'd move it around LOL

With those dimensions you'd have to think about how you'd move it around LOL

I have a spot all picked out on our countertop. I have an edge grain BOOS board that size right there. I just like the end grain boards & want to make one myself. I have an 18”x18”x2” end grain board & it is so gentle on the knife edges, and want one the same size as the BOOS board. Like I said it’s on my bucket list!
Al

Reactions: kilo charlie
I have a spot all picked out on our countertop. I have an edge grain BOOS board that size right there. I just like the end grain boards & want to make one myself. I have an 18”x18”x2” end grain board & it is so gentle on the knife edges, and want one the same size as the BOOS board. Like I said it’s on my bucket list!
Al

Just make sure you use a drum sander on an end grain board and do not run it through a planer unless it has a scrap frame around it or you run the risk of destroying it and/or injury

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky