Cutting board that doesn’t break the bank

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Yes . 10 " contractors model . I've had that 30 years .
Very nice. I have my dad's which is the same one and it's at least that old. I also have his Craftsman 10" radial arm saw and a bunch of his other woodworking stuff to include routers, planer, scroll saw, etc. He only bought Craftsman back in the day...

When I closed my shop, I had:
10" Table Saw
12" Radial saw
27" Planer
37" double Drum Sander
8" Jointer
5 HP Shaper
Floor Drum Sander
6" X 173" Edge Sander
Two Spindle Horizontal Boring Machine
Drill Press
18" Band Saw

Now Bear Jr has most of the same machines, but he sold my Table Saw & got a "Safe-Stop" Table Saw.
He also has an "Overhead CNC Router".

Bear

When I closed my shop, I had:
10" Table Saw
12" Radial saw
27" Planer
37" double Drum Sander
8" Jointer
5 HP Shaper
Floor Drum Sander
6" X 173" Edge Sander
Two Spindle Horizontal Boring Machine
Drill Press
18" Band Saw

Now Bear Jr has most of the same machines, but he sold my Table Saw & got a "Safe-Stop" Table Saw.
He also has an "Overhead CNC Router".

Bear

Nice shop you had there Mr. Bear.
Bear jr. is a wise man to buy the Safe-Stop saw. By the looks of the advertisement with the hot dog; It sure looks like it could save a finger or two. I've heard the "stop" is pretty tough on saw blades but that would certainly be a small price to pay if it was you finger being saved.

I've heard the "stop" is pretty tough on saw blades but that would certainly be a small price to pay if it was you finger being saved.
I don't think they all have the safety stop on them . They did have some at work , and I think you have to replace the whole internal unit of it's " tripped " .
My Dad has a craftsman branded Saw stop 10 " Man it's nice . Just collecting dust since he passed .

Reactions: one eyed jack
Nice shop you had there Mr. Bear.
Bear jr. is a wise man to buy the Safe-Stop saw. By the looks of the advertisement with the hot dog; It sure looks like it could save a finger or two. I've heard the "stop" is pretty tough on saw blades but that would certainly be a small price to pay if it was you finger being saved.

Yup, Many years ago I saw "Safe-Stop" in person, at a Cabinetmaker's Convention, at Valley Forge, King of Prussia. It was Amazing. After more than 50 years of playing with Wood, I still have all my digits, but I've often been so close to a moving 10" blade to feel the wind from the blade blowing the hair on the backs of my fingers.
Scary feeling!! Get the Push-stick Dummy!!

Bear

I don't think they all have the safety stop on them . They did have some at work , and I think you have to replace the whole internal unit of it's " tripped " .
My Dad has a craftsman branded Saw stop 10 " Man it's nice . Just collecting dust since he passed .

I gotcha Mr. Chop. I hadn't heard that the entire unit is destroyed in a stop. I can see one possible downside if it might tend to make a user of the saw complacent, figuring that they were "safe".

A lot of older Craftsman tools were high quality pieces.

My Dad never had a large shop space and bought a used "Shop Smith" back around 1955.

Used it in building a 15 foot sailboat ad a pool table as well as many smaller projects.

Reactions: chopsaw
Yup, Many years ago I saw "Safe-Stop" in person, at a Cabinetmaker's Convention, at Valley Forge, King of Prussia. It was Amazing. After more than 50 years of playing with Wood, I still have all my digits, but I've often been so close to a moving 10" blade to feel the wind from the blade blowing the hair on the backs of my fingers.
Scary feeling!! Get the Push-stick Dummy!!

Bear

You've heard the old shop saying, "Remaining fingers are not to be used as push sticks"?

I'm right there with you as far as years spent around shop tools and have come close a time or two, as well.

Still have all digits too.

I went through a stretch of making and giving away end grain Maple cutting boards.

As several have mentioned they are labor intensive but satisfying when finished.

I made a hand full like this one, (11" X 16" X 1-1/2"). Still have the first that I made although I didn't put the blood groove around that first board. The largest of this style I've made is 17" X 25" X 2"

I also own a 12" X 18" X 1/2" white plastic board that does get a good bit of use, although I do wonder about micro plastics coming off of it. I too old for that to be much of a concern, I guess.

DSC01085.jpeg

This picture was taken within 1/22 hour of oiling with Mineral oil. The oil eventually evens out and the highlights at the joints darken up to mach the rest of the wood.
DSC01178.jpeg

Here's an Oldie, and the only Cutting Board I ever made:
It's not a great Picture, but it's only about 10" X 14", and 2" thick.
I made it in school (10th Grade) in 1964. (57 years old)
About 2 years ago, Bear Jr ran it through his Double Drum Sander, and put new feet on it, after he made a big fancy Walnut one that I refused to use, because it's too pretty!!
IMG_8061.jpeg

I gotcha Mr. Chop. I hadn't heard that the entire unit is destroyed in a stop. I can see one possible downside if it might tend to make a user of the saw complacent, figuring that they were "safe".

A lot of older Craftsman tools were high quality pieces.

My Dad never had a large shop space and bought a used "Shop Smith" back around 1955.

Used it in building a 15 foot sailboat ad a pool table as well as many smaller projects.

Yup, Rich is right---Gotta replace the cartridge. I forget what it costs, but only a couple hundred, I think it was.
My first large tool I had, because I didn't have the room at the time, was a Shopsmith. It worked fine, if you don't have room for real individual machines.
I had a Buddy who had a Shopsmith. He had it set up for Drill Press, and was running a shaper cutter on it. A piece of wood fell off the table, so he reached down to pick it up, with one hand, and his other hand rocked it's way across the Cutterhead, taking various amounts of each of all 4 fingers. Had to get a Mechanical release for Bowhunting.

Bear

I mad the mistake of buying a $60 30x20 banboo cutting board on Amazon. The size was great, but the original and it's replacement dceloped cracks and split in two within weeks. Thery were gently washed and then properly oiled, so I know I'll need to spend a bit more $$$. This board was thin, maybe 1/2" max, so maybe that was a contributing factor?

I looked on Etsy, and there's everything from $75-$400, and my concern is that I don't know true quality going that route.

I'm looking for 30x20, so if Anyone has suggestions, ideally with a link, it would be appu!
I’ve got cheap boards right on up to Boos boards. I can say the acacia wood boards I have were cheap and when oiled and cared for right seem to last forever.

Personally, I use a cheap bamboo board from Menards

Check into a cabinet shop that installs solid surface counter tops. Some cut ends and pieces into cutting boards including routering the edge and even add a blood groove.
Any truth to the plastic ones being hard on knife blades ?
Most of the plastic ones I've looked at state they are easily damaged by knives.

Yup, Rich is right---Gotta replace the cartridge. I forget what it costs, but only a couple hundred, I think it was.
My first large tool I had, because I didn't have the room at the time, was a Shopsmith. It worked fine, if you don't have room for real individual machines.
I had a Buddy who had a Shopsmith. He had it set up for Drill Press, and was running a shaper cutter on it. A piece of wood fell off the table, so he reached down to pick it up, with one hand, and his other hand rocked it's way across the Cutterhead, taking various amounts of each of all 4 fingers. Had to get a Mechanical release for Bowhunting.

Bear

A couple hundred bucks is cheap. Fingers are dear.
Your buddy's cutter head accident is the kind of thing I would have a lot of trouble forgiving myself for. Sometimes natural instinct takes over. I had a friend, years ago, who swerved her car to avoid running over a fox, wrecked and wound up paralyzed.

A couple hundred bucks is cheap. Fingers are dear.
Your buddy's cutter head accident is the kind of thing I would have a lot of trouble forgiving myself for. Sometimes natural instinct takes over. I had a friend, years ago, who swerved her car to avoid running over a fox, wrecked and wound up paralyzed.

Actually, I checked with My Son last night. The Safe-Stop cartridge costs about $90, and a crash doesn't always ruin the blade. At least according to the research he did since buying the Table saw. It hasn't happened for him yet.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky