Curing wood

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

joe black

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jan 25, 2015
Greenville, SC
What is a rule of thumb for the time to properly cure wood? Does the type or size matter? I will be putting it on an expanded metal shelf with good clearance on the front and both ends. Thanks for the help.

Drying time depends on your location as regards to heat, humidity and air movement.
Chunks dry faster than splits.
I find that in Maine it takes 3 years drying for northern red oak splits to be usable as cooking wood. Red maple splits about 9-10 months, black cherry and apple splits 1 year, YMMV.

/ message Chunks will dry in 6-8 weeks depending on size and wood species.

Are you drying splits or chunks?

Thanks for the feedback. I am mostly using oak as it is readily available and whatever fruit wood I can find. I cut it to 10-12" and then split to about 3". I can usually buy oak that is 6-12 months. The fruit wood that I have found is usually green, so I will use bought chunks until some of it has had a chance to cure.

For some reason I allways thought to get the most "flavor" out of wood you would want it fresh, not cured.

For some reason I allways thought to get the most "flavor" out of wood you would want it fresh, not cured.
Fruit wood chunks, such as apple and peach, can be used fresh from the tree but splits used in a stick burner must be dry enough to burn cleanly in the fire box. Chunks of oak also must be dry, oak holds so much water that it will steam and spit water rather than smoke if not dry enough.

Thanks for the info.
Looking forward to some better weather and fire'n up the smoker again.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky