Curing my Brinkman vertical smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dewey tennimon

Original poster
May 29, 2011
Parrish, Fl
Hello all and belated Happy Father's Day to all the fathers out there....here's my question...I've had my vertical for about a year now and have only done one initial cure on it with hickory. Since I've smoked with hickory, mesquite, apple, citrus, etc. The sides of the smoker are starting to peel. Should I scrap it down and re-cure? Should I have a smoker for certain types of wood? The reason I ask is that I mostly use hickory and mesquite and when I use apple or citrus or even oak the meat, to me, tastes like hickory. Thank you for your time and thoughts.

I'll use some kosher salt and a Lemon to clean my vertical electric. Just heat up the smoker cut the lemon in half and put some kosher salt on a plate then dip it on their and scrape any loose stuff off. I don't get crazy but it helps for my smoker

Yeah it seems to neutralize it. After I give it all a good rub down with the lemon ill leave the smoker open as well.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky