Curing bacon not throwing liquid

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dfvellone

Original poster
Feb 9, 2009
I always use the digging dog farm cure calculator and my fridge temp is 38f and the bellies barely throw any liquid at all. Happens every year and the bacon still comes out nicely, but I'm always a little skeptical because I'd feel more comfortable if the bellies were covered in liquid. Everything I read refers to the liquids contributing to the cure. What might be the issue with mine, or should I not worry about it?

I typically don't get more than a few teaspoons of liquid and don't see any problem with that.

It depends on the meat. Some bellies are quite moist and others are drier depending on the processing method. It doesn't effect the outcome of your bacon! Relax and keep smoking!

I always use the digging dog farm cure calculator and my fridge temp is 38f and the bellies barely throw any liquid at all. Happens every year and the bacon still comes out nicely, but I'm always a little skeptical because I'd feel more comfortable if the bellies were covered in liquid. Everything I read refers to the liquids contributing to the cure. What might be the issue with mine, or should I not worry about it?
Not an issue. Trust the process.Enjoy the bacon.

Thanks for the replies. I appreciate the input.
My recipe isn't much more than the basic cure#1/salt/sugar ratios. I use some black pepper, pinch of nutmeg and smoke. Smoke's my biggest spice.

It depends on the meat. Some bellies are quite moist and others are drier depending on the processing method. It doesn't effect the outcome of your bacon! Relax and keep smoking!

Like Disco (Smart Fellow) said, "It depends on the piece of meat. Some pull a lot of juice & some don't.
Most of it ends up back in the meat with the Cure & other ingredients.
The juice carries the other dissolved ingredients into the meat.
So relax & keep flipping daily (The meat, that is).

Bear

Reactions: disco
Like Disco (Smart Fellow) said, "It depends on the piece of meat. Some pull a lot of juice & some don't.
Most of it ends up back in the meat with the Cure & other ingredients.
The juice carries the other dissolved ingredients into the meat.
So relax & keep flipping daily (The meat, that is).

Bear
Smart Fellow? I should report you to the admins, Bear. Telling likes like that. Tsk.

I get bellies from two different sources. One is rind on the other rind off. Neither produce a lot of liquid when curing.

As a side note when curing other meats/muscles like eye or round I typically cure 3 at a time. All are similar in weight, bought at the same time from the same store and they will all throw off differing amounts of liquid. Ranging from a 1/4 cup to a couple of teaspoons.

When curing whole pork loin you can expect more liquid to be expelled verses beef as its is a very moisture laden muscle. But again comparing 2 or 3 side by side they will expel differing amounts.

Exactly.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky