Cured Chicken !!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Rafter H BBQ

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 18, 2013
S.E. Idaho
Hey all, decided it was time to cure some chicken ! I was intending to do some quarters but the wife found a great deal on a whole chicken, so I'll do quarters next go round !

So I helped my son mix up a batch of Pop's brine (thanks again for your brine recipe Pop's) & it was his job to stir it together... He done a great job ! Thumbs Up

Brine all mixed up & time to get the bird in so it can do its thing ! Put in beer fridge for 4 days !

Simmered the other parts in a small pot for some stock ! Forgot pics of that part though !

Pulled it outta the fridge 4 days later (Saturday) & was planning on letting it sit overnight & cook Sunday... But that didn't happen ! Had some stuff come up ! That's how most my plans go... LOL.

So, the bird sat in the fridge til Wednesday nite ! Finally, gonna cook us some cured chicken ! Thumbs Up So got the poultry shears out & spatched it real quick !

Fired up the kettle for an indirect/direct cook with some KBB & a small chunk of kiawe !

Waited til IT of 160*, then seared over the vortex. After the sear & rest, had an IT of 165* ! Thumbs Up

Carved it !

Plated up with some mac salad & pork n beans ! It was a great meal & reminded us we need to do birds like this more often !

Thanks for lookin all !

Last edited:
What was the chicken ailing from?:biggrin: Looks like your degree in poultry is an master's!

That's a great looking bird. I love cured birds. Gonna get one curing tomorrow.

Seasoned with wing seasoning?

What was the chicken ailing from?:biggrin: Looks like your degree in poultry is an master's!

LOL, thanks man ! Appreciate the kind words... Sure need to do this more often !

Justin you are like the Vortex Master making everything look great.I may just have to do a cure Rotti bird.points heading your way my friend

Richie

That's a great looking bird. I love cured birds. Gonna get one curing tomorrow.

Seasoned with wing seasoning?

Thanks Adam, these things are tasty ! I didn't season with anything before the grill just the brine. Put a bit of wing seasoning on just before eating. Thanks for the point too !

Wow does that look good! I hardly ever cure poultry except for some turkeys on Thanksgiving. I think I need to change that frequency after seeing this.

Thinking this is on the menu for next weekend!

Points for this one.

Thanks for the kind words & point ! Appreciate it !

Justin you are like the Vortex Master making everything look great.I may just have to do a cure Rotti bird.points heading your way my friend
Richie

Richie, you are too kind my friend ! I'll bet a cured roti bird would be awesome ! Thanks for the point as well !

Tasty looking bird! I'm curious about your brine bucket, looks handy with the various levels. Can you share the brand?

Thanks ! That is called "The Briner" & I really like it ! I can't post a link but just do a search ! Thumbs Up

Yeppers I love brined or cured or brined and cured whole chickens. BTW a friendly suggestion. After getting the pellicle formed, just before putting it on the grill, rub it down with oil. It will keep the skin from cracking and splitting. Any oil works, does not need be expensive olive oil. Just some veggie oil or chicken or bacon fat will do great. 

I love what ya did, it looks delicious. 

Reactions: Rafter H BBQ
Yeppers I love brined or cured or brined and cured whole chickens. BTW a friendly suggestion. After getting the pellicle formed, just before putting it on the grill, rub it down with oil. It will keep the skin from cracking and splitting. Any oil works, does not need be expensive olive oil. Just some veggie oil or chicken or bacon fat will do great. 

I love what ya did, it looks delicious. 

Thanks Foam ! I will do the oil next time, appreciate the tip !

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky