Cure

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sam1234

Original poster
Sep 11, 2021
Quick question. Just wet brined a 14lb brisket to make pastrami currently on the smoker. I have a funny feeling I may have used too much cure but can’t remember should have wrote it down. Is there a way to tell after the fact if it has too much cure? I can’t remember if I used 3 tsp of #1 cure or I have a funny feeling I may have used 1 tsp per pound. Just wondering if there is a way to tell.

Unless you can weigh what's left, that's a nearly a third of a cup.

Unless you can weigh what's left, that's a nearly a third of a cup.

it was bribed in about 5 qts of water them soaked 24 hrs in cold water. I’ve read so much now my mind is spinning a bit. Some say to add the weight of the water which would be closer to 10 tsp total I think. So much information. Just wondering if you can taste it, like if it will taste way too salty or if I should just toss it.

With the weight of meat and water, if you did add 14 tsp, you are at about 3 times the typical. Not Toxic but exercise more caution in the future. Do a fry test. If too salty soak over night in fresh water to pull some salt and reduce the Nitrite. Fry test again and proceed. Cooking will further reduce the amount of Nitrite so you will be safe to eat the Pastrami...JJ

With the weight of meat and water, if you did add 14 tsp, you are at about 3 times the typical. Not Toxic but exercise more caution in the future. Do a fry test. If too salty soak over night in fresh water to pull some salt and reduce the Nitrite. Fry test again and proceed. Cooking will further reduce the amount of Nitrite so you will be safe to eat the Pastrami...JJ
Ok thanks. I did try it and it’s not salty tasting at all so I’m thinking I didn’t add quite that much. Will definately record every step from now on. Mind isn’t what it used to be.

just write this down……. 1 level teaspoon per 5 pounds weight.

The USDA allows for a fairly hefty amount of cure# 1 in a brine, so over all you should be fine like Chef JJ said, but using that much cure is really not necessary.

Ok thanks. I did try it and it’s not salty tasting at all so I’m thinking I didn’t add quite that much. Will definately record every step from now on. Mind isn’t what it used to be.

LOL---"Mind isn't what it used to be"???
Wow, what's it gonna be like when you get to be 40 ??

Bear

Reactions: sawhorseray
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky