Curb pickup MES 30B

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

vikkip

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 24, 2014
SE Michigan
My husband called to let me know there was a smoker on the curb for trash pickup a mile or so from home, so of course I went to find it. It's a MES30B, which I can see is a very basic analog electric model with no viewing window. It's crusty, a little rusty, and the price is right.

I already have a barrel BBQ, a GOSM, a Char Griller charcoal tabletop/sidecar, and a propane grill. But hey, it's hard to have too many choices.

It has no cord, so I can't test it. But I do plan to do a resistance test across the element before I order a new cord and controller. Does anyone know the correct value?

Reactions: JLeonard
Not a clue on the actual value.
Resistance heating elements are usually yes or no. Continuity, probably good. You obviously know the other. I state "probably good" as I have a Big Chief unit and it tests continuity but after about 30 seconds warming it leaks the electrons and trips the GFCI receptacle.

edit: deleted bad information.

Curb finds are always fun. I got my 22" Weber kettle off the curb. Appears you need one, too. I love my Webers.

Last edited:
The rewire info does not apply to an analog smoker . I think that smoker is under 200 new . Not sure about that though . You can get the replacement cord and element if needed . Clean it up and test the element .

John , that's not why I put that up there . It's easy to miss these type of things .
Just an adjustment of advice . I was just looking at the elements and the control connection . Been thinking about converting an old kettle I have .

Resistance heating elements are usually yes or no. Continuity, probably good. You obviously know the other. I state "probably good" as I have a Big Chief unit and it tests continuity but after about 30 seconds warming it leaks the electrons and trips the GFCI receptacle.
Good info here , and something that gets missed . I had an 800 watt element in my MES 30 . Ohm reading should be around 18 . Mine was reading between 2 1/2 and 5 . Current flow was to fast which makes the GFCI trip thinking there is a leak to ground .

Reactions: JC in GB
gottcha
I'm happy when errors are pointed out. I have a Big Chief not a MES.
I even screwed up the edit by not hitting the save button.
You see what happens when you go south for the winter... it screws you all up! :emoji_blush:

Now more to the subject...nice find!

Ryan

• Haha
Reactions: Fueling Around
If the reading is less than 10 ohms or greater than 24, I would suspect an issue with the element. In a perfect world, 12 ohms at 120 VAC will be 1200 watts.

Power in watts = V * V / R (Voltage squared divided by element resistance)

JC :emoji_cat:

Reactions: tallbm and chopsaw
I have a MES30 I need to get rid of. Not used much but needs a good cleaning. Guess I need to post it for someone in North Texas Southern Oklahoma. Would give it away. Held temp a lot better than the 40.

Reactions: tallbm
My husband called to let me know there was a smoker on the curb for trash pickup a mile or so from home, so of course I went to find it. It's a MES30B, which I can see is a very basic analog electric model with no viewing window. It's crusty, a little rusty, and the price is right.

I already have a barrel BBQ, a GOSM, a Char Griller charcoal tabletop/sidecar, and a propane grill. But hey, it's hard to have too many choices.

It has no cord, so I can't test it. But I do plan to do a resistance test across the element before I order a new cord and controller. Does anyone know the correct value?
Hi there and welcome!

If the reading is less than 10 ohms or greater than 24, I would suspect an issue with the element. In a perfect world, 12 ohms at 120 VAC will be 1200 watts.

Power in watts = V * V / R (Voltage squared divided by element resistance)

^^^^^ This right here should get you going. Around 12 ohms is your number to look for :)

I believe the analog with rheostat contoller are 1,500 watt elements ÷ 120vac = 12.5 amps. 120vac ÷ 12.5 amps = 9.6 ohms. See if there is a model/serial # plate with watts on it.

I believe the analog with rheostat contoller are 1,500 watt elements ÷ 120vac = 12.5 amps. 120vac ÷ 12.5 amps = 9.6 ohms. See if there is a model/serial # plate with watts on it.

Yes, a good point. A 1500 watt element will have lower resistance. You could also take an ohm reading then calculate the element wattage from that. If the calculation doesn't match the ratings in the nameplate within reason, you could assume the element is not in spec any longer.

Thanks for all the great advice. It does measure 9.6 ohms, but shows signs of arc/spark damage on the element, so I'll be buying a controller and element together. And my daughter reminded me that she and her bf don't have a smoker at all, so I'll share my good fortune and send it their way.
Fueling Around Fueling Around , I also have a Weber Kettle and a Coleman LP grill on its fourth(?) overhaul. I just can't get rid of that heavy cast aluminum body, I've had it 25+ years and grill year round.

I dumped my 25 YO Sunbeam gasser a few years ago. I had re-burnered it many times and after blown over in winds storms a few times that cracked the lid, but surprisingly not the glass, it went to the scrap yard along with 2 others I had collected from the curb and scavenged some parts.
I've got my father's vintage 1975 John Deere gas grill that I'm going to overhaul upgrade and pass to my son.

Reactions: tallbm

I500 watts is around 10 ohms. I thought the element was 1200 Watts

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky