Cubano Sausage Recipe

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BrianGSDTexoma

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 1, 2018
North Texas, Texoma
I thinking of trying this Cubano Sausage for my next one. Does everything look OK? I not an Oregano fan so might cut that.

Cubano Sausage

5lbs Pork Shoulder 2268g
45g kosher Salt
6g Pink Salt
20g Mustard Powder
15g Garlic Powder
10g Onion Powder
10g Cumin
7g Oregano
10g Pepper
5g Dry Dill
Lime Zest (2 limes)
Whole Pickles Cubed
225g Cubed Swiss cheese
225g Cubed Ham
225g Water
90g Milk Powder

Reactions: crazymoon
Your salt at 45 grams would be high for me . I'd be around 35 grams for the 5 lbs. , but maybe that type needs more .

Reactions: pushok2018
The same for me: even 2% of sault is 40g... 45g for 5 pound should be too salty taking in consideration I prefer a bit more sault in sausages.... Any sausage... Personally, I would go with 1.8 % of sault....

Reactions: chopsaw
Looking forward to how you like this Brian, sounds interesting!

Ryan

Cut the salt to 28 grams (this is 1.25%) then add cure #1 at 0.25% which will give you all in sodium at 1.5%. This works well.

Reactions: cptnding
Thanks. I will adjust future recipes. Wonder if the ham is really needed with adding cure? Do big deal either way. Trying to get that cuban sammy taste.

Your salt at 45 grams would be high for me . I'd be around 35 grams for the 5 lbs. , but maybe that type needs more .

The same for me: even 2% of sault is 40g... 45g for 5 pound should be too salty taking in consideration I prefer a bit more sault in sausages.... Any sausage... Personally, I would go with 1.8 % of sault....

Cut the salt to 28 grams (this is 1.25%) then add cure #1 at 0.25% which will give you all in sodium at 1.5%. This works well.

1.8% works too .

For sure reduce the salt, but that's an interesting looking flavor profile. I like lime in my gin/vodka and tonic, but just don't see it in a sausage. Either way give it a shot and let us know how it turns out.

I was thinking of waiting until I thaw a ham out after looking at the prices in the store. I am also looking at different recipes. I will be pulling the trigger one way or another soon.
Cubing some pork and curing is an easy fix. You could also just buy one of those ham steaks from Cook’s or Smithfield or Maker’s Mark. Cube it and be done.

Thats a great idea. Man I love those pork butt hams.
You already have the pork butt . So just take advantage of that and cure your own .
Just time it out so it's ready when you want to use it . Gives great flavor , and you know the salt content that way .
This is for Krakow , that's why the chunks are bigger , but that all came from the same butt .
20191212_095524.jpg
You could do 1 or 2 inch cubes , then chop to the size you need .
Is this a hog casing , or bigger ?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky