Cuban Chicken

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

disco

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Oct 31, 2012
Canadian Rockies
I had a good deal on a chicken and I have been meaning to try a different method of cooking chicken. I know many others have done this but it is new to me. I was going to start low and slow and then kick the heat.

I have also been meaning to try a Cuban flavour profile on chicken. I will admit, this is not authentic Cuban but just an approximation.

I started by mixing up some Cuban Sazon but you can use a commercial Cuban seasoning mix if you prefer.

• 7.5 ml (1 1/2 teaspoon) (5.6 grams) garlic powder
  • 4 ml (3/4 teaspoon) (3.1 grams) onion powder
  • 4 ml (3/4 teaspoon) (4.8 grams) Kosher salt
  • 4 ml (3/4 teaspoon) (0.6 grams) dried oregano
  • 2.5 ml (1/2 teaspoon) (1.5 grams) black pepper
  • 2.5 ml (1/2 teaspoon) (1.5 grams) cumin
  • 2.5 ml (1/2 teaspoon) (1.8 grams) tumeric
  • 1.5 ml (1/4 teaspoon) (0.2 grams) dried parsley
Then I mixed up a marinade of:

• 25 ml (2 tbsp) lime juice
  • 15 ml (1 tbsp) lemon juice
  • 15 ml (1 tbsp) honey
  • 15 ml (1 tbsp) vegetable oil
Cuban Chicken 01.jpg

I spatchcocked a 1 kilogram (2.2 pound) chicken. This is a process of cutting the back and chest bones out so the chicken will lay flat on a grill.

You start by cutting with poultry shears down both sides of the backbone and removing it.

Turn the chicken over and cut down both sides of the triangular cartilege at the bottom of the breast bone without cutting through the skin below it.

Cut under the cartilege with the poultry shears.

Cuban Chicken 02.jpg

Cut down each side of the breast bone with the poultry shears. Cut under the breastbone and remove it.

Cuban Chicken 03.jpg

Flip the chicken over and work you finger carefully under the skin of one side of the breast. Put 1 ml (1/4 tsp) (0.8 gm) of the Cuban Sazon under the skin of one side of the breast and rub it around. Do the same with the other breast side.

Work your finger under the skin of one of the thighs and work 1 ml (1/4 tsp) (0.8 gm) of the seasoning under the skin and repeat with the other thigh.

Cuban Chicken 04.jpg

Sprinkle 4 ml (3/4 tsp) (3.2 gm) of the seasoning over the skin. Turn the chicken over and sprinkle 4 ml (3/4 tsp) (3.2 gm) of the seasoning over the bone side of the chicken.

Cuban Chicken 05.jpg

Put the chicken in a plastic bag and pour the marinade in. Put the chicken in the fridge for 3 hours, turning occasionally.

Cuban Chicken 06.jpg

Take the chicken out and put it on a rack.

Sprinkle 5 ml (1 tsp) (4 gm) of the seasoning over the chicken and put it in the fridge, uncovered for 1 hours.

I preheated my Traeger Timberline to 225 F (107 C) using it’s super smoke mode. I smoked it for 1 hour and then increased the temperature to 375 F (190 C) and smoked until the internal temperature of the breast was 170 F (77 C), about 1 hour 15 minutes. If your smoker won’t get to 375 F (190 C), you could move it into a 375 F (190 C) oven for the last part of the cook.

Cuban Chicken 07.jpg
\

Cuban Chicken 08.jpg

Let the chicken rest for 10 minutes and cut into portions.

Start by cutting the drumsticks off at the joint. Then cut the thighs from the breast.

Cuban Chicken 09.jpg

Cut the wings off the breast. Cut the breast into two at the breast bone and cut the breast half into two.

Repeat with the other half of the chicken.

Cuban Chicken 10.jpg

Cuban Chicken 11.jpg

The Verdict

This was so good. This citrus gives it a bright flavour. The Cuban Sazon gives a delicious garlic/onion undertone and the skin is wonderfully crispy and tasty.

Disco

Looks amazing Disco. Love the write up and pics too!! I’ll have to give these Cuban flavors a go at some point for sure.

Excellent write-up on this. Looks delicious! Big like!

Thanks so much for the like!

That looks wonderful to me. I’d love to give that a try. I’ve become addicted to chicken ever since I got my Weber kettle. Great job. Thumbs up for sure.
G

Smoked chicken does rock! Thanks.

Looks amazing Disco. Love the write up and pics too!! I’ll have to give these Cuban flavors a go at some point for sure.

I hope you like it as much as I do!

Looks pretty. The seasoning is spot on. My MOJO is similar but with the addition of OJ. Been awhile since I've made Cuban , you have me inspired...JJ

What can I say, Disco!!!
It Looks Perfect!!!
Nice Job---Awesome!!
Like.

Bear

Thanks, Bear! Your tutelage continues to bare fruit!

Looks pretty. The seasoning is spot on. My MOJO is similar but with the addition of OJ. Been awhile since I've made Cuban , you have me inspired...JJ

Thanks, Chef! I look forward to the post!

Just gorgeous Disco!! How much do you think it'd cost to ship a couple of those cooked birds from Canada to Texas? I'll send you a check to cover all expenses :emoji_wink:

Now where did I leave the checkbook?
Robert

Looks awesome as always David!!

You are very kind!

Just gorgeous Disco!! How much do you think it'd cost to ship a couple of those cooked birds from Canada to Texas? I'll send you a check to cover all expenses :emoji_wink:

Now where did I leave the checkbook?
Robert

Money isn't the problem (by the time you pay in Canadian $'s it will be practically free.

Looks mighty appetizing Disco.

Point for sure
Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky