Crumbly salami

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

johnyd

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Mar 20, 2011
New Zealand
Hi everyone, looking for some answers here Sorry I cant add pics just yet but wifey has the camera.

OK so i did some fermented salami, some in the regular fibrous casings that start out about 2 inch diameter and some bung casings ( natural) These ended up about 4 inches across and held a massive 5 lb of mix in them...... so much so I needed to put them into some netting to give support.

Everything got pumped pretty full and well tied off. Fermentation went well and had good consistent temps and humidity in the 65 to 75  % range.

Had a great white mold all over.

On the day I deemed to slice open and check it out.... all ok and fantastic taste A real good tang etc etc but heres the funny part.

It wont hold together very well! When I slice it nice and thin it just falls apart !!

What have I done wrong??

My only guess is that I did all this on a coarse grind and maybe by having no fine grind I didnt get a good bind going.

It is 100% pork shoulder.

I'd have to guess it was not enough mixing that gave you the poor bind and not the course grind.

Was the meat used.... previously frozen?... If the meat was stored in the freezer for a period of time I would point the culprit to Freezer burn

When food is frozen as a method of preservation thousands and thousands of water molecules within the steak form ice crystals. These water molecules prefer the most hospitable environment- the coldest place in your freezer. The molecules migrate from the meat to the coldest place they can find, which is often the side of your freezer. The loss of these water molecules causes the meat to become dehydrated. The end result is freezer burn.

So why did this happen?
  • Most likely, your food was not tightly wrapped enabling water molecules to escape and seek a better location.

• Also, freezer burn is likely to occur for items stored in the freezer too long. There is a limit to how long items should be stored in the freezer. Sooner or later the water molecules will find their way out of the frozen food to a colder place in your freezer.

• The temperature of your freezer may have been above 0 degrees F. Freezer burn will set in from fluctuating temperatures above 0 degrees F.
When water molecules escape from your frozen food, it is also possible for oxygen molecules to seep in. The oxygen molecules can dull the color and modify the flavor of your frozen product.

Food that has freezer burn is safe to eat, but you may find the texture and taste not to your liking.

Joe

Last edited:
When you say fermented salami?

Like at a temp of 70-80* to ferment before or if you applied smoke?

All good theories guys, It was frozen meat that was used but then it usually is at my place. But as to freezer burn, jury out still. I vacuum seal and date all my meat that I "process" ie buy pork butt and debone then mince. I used cold water during the binding process while it was mixed and also I noted water pooling under where I had them hanging for the first few days

The salami was hung for over 25 days while the moisture dropped. and the weight went down buy over 30% I still have one hanging now...... day 35

I used liquid smoke for a bit of flavour but didnt cold smoke this at all.

I did try out a new ( to me) product called GDL (Glucono Delta Lactone) that is supposed to aid the fermentation process and shorten drying time plus impart that special acidic flavour. So this may well be the culprit! It was used at the recomended ratios.

I made a new batch today with finer mincing done so I will see if that has helped .....update in a month

Here is what the original mix looked like prior to stuffing, you can see it is kinda coarse. 

This is the size off the hogs middles I used. I was real happy with the way they shrink down without wrinkling like synthetic / fibrous casings.

Hog middles plus the standard mahogany casing see how the mahogany case wrinkels over time compared to the hog middle.

The end result a sliced up hog middle, If you click on the photo and enlarge it, you can just see the crumbling surface of the top slice. 

Last edited:
The GDL certainly may have contributed, too much acidity can harm the bind.....the added water can also cause problems, it's certainly not recommended in dry cured sausages beyond the small amount used when introducing a culture.

If the problem re-occurs in your next batch, it'd be a good idea to detail the process completely, to help ensure that you get the best answers, wild-assed guesses not based on all the facts are next to useless.

~Martin

Last edited:
The GDL certainly may have contributed, too much acidity can harm the bind.....the added water can also cause problems, it's certainly not recommended in dry cured sausages beyond the small amount used when introducing a culture.
If the problem re-occurs in your next batch, it'd be a good idea to detail the process completely, to help ensure that you get the best answers, wild-assed guesses not based on all the facts are next to useless.
~Martin
I do stick to the same recipe mostly DDF but the GDL is a new addition .....it was only from going over my notes i remembered to mention it
biggrin.gif
 I could not find a lot of info about it but used it at the rate of 5 grams per kilo ( about a 1/2 t spoon per pound ) 

If the same happens to the new batch I will ditch the GDL and go back to other recipes,This new batch i have omitted the dry milk powder so that may bring the acidity back. 

Thanks Martin, everything I have read about GDL says it is an enhancer not a substitute, but i guess time will tell. I originally added it as another means to have a safer product as most info points to this with it lowering Ph quickly.

it may have been a combination of things that lead to the crumbly texture, I hope not to replicate it, the salami is still very edible and everyone loves it i could just do without it falling apart when you go to pick up a slice.  

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky