Croatian chips are ready.

Discussion in 'Sausage' started by ak1, Feb 8, 2016.

1. ak1

ak1 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Dried garlic and black pepper sausage. We used to call them Croatian chips just because we'd take a whole one and slice it thin like chips.

daveomak and crazymoon like this.
  2. chef jimmyj

chef jimmyj Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member

Looks good...JJ

3. c farmer

c farmer Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Looks great.

4. ak1

Easy to make. Get your pork butt or shoulder, grind it coarse, add 3% salt, coarse ground black pepper and finely diced garlic to taste. You need to taste the garlic and the pepper. Mix well, let it sit for a day or so, stuff in hog casings, hang for a day or two, then smoke for a week or more. Hang to dry for a month or more. 

5. atomicsmoke

atomicsmoke Master of the Pit OTBS Member

And just like chips ....can't stop at 1-2-3-4... Don't know about "croatian"...this is made everywhere from Vistula , to Danube, to Adriatic. :) little regional variations...paprika for instance.

Looks great.

Made a big load in december

ak1 likes this.
  6. halfsmoked

halfsmoked Master of the Pit Group Lead SMF Premier Member

[​IMG]   Yell man anything with garlic in it has to be good that is in the food line.

7. ak1

Those look great! I'm from near Zagreb... we didn't do paprika.

8. c farmer

There's more to this for sure.

Cure added? Cold smoked? Curing chamber?

9. b-one

b-one Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Those chips look tasty!

10. ak1

No cure. Just plain salt in the mix. Cold smoked for a week or more 24/7 with smoke in a smokehouse. Curing chamber is a cold room that's above freezing.This is completely old school European methods based on cold winter temperatures.

The reason there is no curing salt is because of the long cold smoke. That long smoke adds the nitrites to the meat and because it is cold it lets it dry without worrying about bacteria for the first while. At this point I can leave stuff hanging in my cold cellar during the summer when the temp gets to around 65 degrees. At that time I've got the meat dry on the surface, with nice mould growth, and good air circulation.

c farmer likes this.
  11. dirtsailor2003

dirtsailor2003 Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Nice! Looks like it's go good with a nice salty cracker, and a sharp cheddar!

12. ak1

You got that right.

My son when he was small about 20 yrs ago. A plate of this sliced thin watching morning cartoons. Life was good.

13. daveomak

daveomak Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Darko, Thanks for another "Old World Food".....   We have to keep this stuff current so folks don't forget...

ak1 likes this.
  14. ak1

You're right Dave. This is where our heritage came from. It's important that we remember that.

15. appwsmsmkr1

appwsmsmkr1 Meat Mopper

Ah yes the conoba. Where all meat and of course a bacalar was always hanging. Your bringing back a lot of memories of my childhood.

16. crazymoon

crazymoon Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

AK1, Nice looking chips!!!!

17. mr t 59874

mr t 59874 Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

Darko, looks like this may be a good introduction for me to get started into sausage making. You may create a monster.

Thanks,

T

18. c farmer

Thanks for the info.

My basement during the winter stays around 60 degrees, 70 during the summer.

19. dave17a

dave17a Smoking Fanatic

ditto

20. dave17a

dave17a Smoking Fanatic

Figured you did it all.[​IMG]