Creme Broulee

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

old golfer guy

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jul 21, 2017
Done C B for 8 people and turned out great. Heading out on an R.V. trip and want to do it for 24. I would like to it in I batch with 2 S. V.s and 2 pots but don't think I can get 12 jars in the pots I have all on the bottom. Has anybody tried stacking one jar on top of 4 others, not directly on a single jar but the weight shared by 4 jars? I know the lids are put on loose so air can escape, do you think stacking would still allow the air to get out???
Thoughts??
Thanks

If you are describing a water bath canner type thing.... NO... The amount / depth of water above the lid, changes the pressure inside the jar... adding depth "may" not allow the jars to vent the air inside making for contaminated air left in the jar...
Generally, a depth of 1" of water, above the top of the jar, is what the USDA recommends when water bath canning... That is one condition they based their test results on....

This Isn't Canning---It's SV !!!
I've seen a number of jars stacked in the SV on YouTube, without a problem.
Even my favorite guys "Sous Vide Everything" have had some stacked.
Looks like NO PROBLEM to me.

Bear

Has anybody tried stacking one jar on top of 4 others, not directly on a single jar but the weight shared by 4 jars? I know the lids are put on loose so air can escape, do you think stacking would still allow the air to get out???
Sort of sounds like water bath canning to me....

I haven’t stacked them but I have done them in my cooler mod which allowed me to do 20 or more of the SV cheesecakes at one time.

I initially was going to do them in my big canning container but the combination of the large volume of water, the high temps, the thinness of the metal container and large surface area was pushing the limits of my Anova. It was having a hard time getting up to temp. Switched to the cooler and worked like a champ.

I like Bear have seen them stacked a bunch on YouTube and don’t think it would be a problem. My jars were covered a lot deeper than one inch above the top anyway because the Anova requires that depth to operate properly.

Weedeater

Has anybody tried stacking one jar on top of 4 others, not directly on a single jar but the weight shared by 4 jars? I know the lids are put on loose so air can escape, do you think stacking would still allow the air to get out???
Sort of sounds like water bath canning to me....

Yup---Sorta, but I don't think you would do canning at 185° or 172° like the Temp used for Cheesecakes & Egg Bites.
Check YouTube, and you can see them stacked by people who know a lot more about SV than any of us, like the guys at "Sous Vide Everything".

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky