Crazy Cajun Sausage Pot Pie (Lotsa Pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
I was a bachelor a couple nights ago and wanted to try something new...well sort of new. Thought through several ways to approach this and decided to take the route of a Cajun pot pie of sorts.

Started out with some onions and peppers in a skillet with butter, cayenne pepper, crushed red pepper, and a nice shot of my Cajun seasoning
011_Fotogenic.jpg

Some homemade Cajun sausage and chopped green onions
013_Fotogenic.jpg

Zatarain's red beans and rice. I added some garlic, onion, and a hefty shot of cayenne pepper
015_Fotogenic.jpg

Lined a CI skillet with a tort (there was a reason for this) and add the beans and rice
017_Fotogenic.jpg

Now for the sauteed veggies
019_Fotogenic.jpg

Cut up the sausage and add that
020_Fotogenic.jpg

A can of Ro Tel tomatoes with green chilies
021_Fotogenic.jpg

Lots of cheddar cheese, the green onions, and another shot of my Cajun seasoning
022_Fotogenic.jpg

Onto the top rack of the grill
023_Fotogenic.jpg

Hot all the way through and the cheese melted
024_Fotogenic.jpg

The idea of the tort was that I wanted to slice it like a pizza and serve in thick slices. It didn't work...not at all so just loaded it on the plate. Served with a jalapeno cheddar biscuit
029_Fotogenic.jpg

Close up so you can see all the goodies
028_Fotogenic.jpg

This was super easy to do and unbelievably good. Not exactly what I'd consider traditional Cajun in the sense of execution but the flavors were right on the money. I could not have been happier when I took that first bite. Man...what a flavor bomb. I had a feeling that slicing it was not gonna work but it was worth a try. Would have been cool to see a big thick slice of that on the plate but alas it was not meant to be. When things cool down a bit I can see doing a huge batch and inviting a few friends over who I know would love this. For that I'll do some fresh cornbread though. That'd be a great accompaniment.

Oh well, gonna call this one a wrap. It's been fun sharing something other than a steak and something interesting. Y'all take care and be safe out there. We're not out of the woods yet unfortunately.

Robert

Reminds me of some of the concoctions I made when I was an actual bachelor, and I would have eaten the crust too like a taco :-)
Keep 'em coming!
(Oh by the way for true Cajun you need bell peppers and celery to go with the onion.)
Like!

I'd be thrilled bellying up to that dish in a heartbeat Robert, nice piece of work for a lazy guy! :emoji_wink: RAY

Nice Robert . Great colors and flavors. You will just have to try it again.. I know what a shame.. to see if you can add a thickener
of some kind so it will slice like a big piece of Cajun cake. Or put them in individual hand pies : ).

David

Great idea for a quick meal. Bookmarked for a try...JJ

Robert, that looks great and the flavors sound like they'd really pop!! I could see using that as a dip with Scoops, as well as a main dish...

Your creation looks like a keeper! We do something similar called a taco pie (meat,shells,refried beans, black beans, taco spices, onion, bell pepper) . It has no rice and can be a bit runny when first out of the oven. We chill it in the refrigerator overnight and it will slice nicely the next day.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky