Cravings

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ab canuck

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Nov 20, 2016
Alberta Canada
Well I have been craving a fattie for awhile, It's been since July ish since I made one last and seeing a few recent posts has had me craving even more. Well took out all the ingredients and decided we are having a spin on taco flavored fatties tonight and feeding the crews at the same time.
Started the bacon weave
Bacon 1.jpg

Finished and seasoned the bacon weave chipotle chilli pepper and bbq spice.
Bacon 2.jpg

Used 1.5# elk burger, seasoned with store bought taco seasoning and onion flakes, mixed in an egg, stuffed into 1 gallon ziploc's and flatened out. Started the stuffing with pepper jack smokies we made this spring.
Fill 1.jpg

Finished stuffing with onions, mushrooms and shredded kraft habanero cheese.
Fill 2.jpg

Rolled it, Placed it in the bacon weave, then into the smoker to smoke for an hr or so then will turn it up to cook.
Rolled.jpg

Smoked cooked and pulled to serve the out going crew.
Fatties.jpg

They didn't get to cool as the day crew leaves at 6pm so sliced 1 hot so they could put them in buns and eat on the way home.
Sliced.jpg

Set the last 1 aside to cool, Will slice and add the pic when it is done. Thx for looking.

I bet that was good . Looks fantastic . Points for the rack brace on the weave .

Well done, sure wish mine looked that nice. Oh well as long as the taste is there.. And those look tasty.

Really Nice job on those fatties.

Point for sure.

Chris

The boys were happy and my cravings settled for now. Thx, everyone for the comments and likes. Appreciated

I love the 45* slant bacon weave wrap; that's the most artistic looking fatty I've seen! Is that any particular brand/type of bacon your using?

I love the 45* slant bacon weave wrap; that's the most artistic looking fatty I've seen! Is that any particular brand/type of bacon your using?

Ha, Ha! You really are new.
Take a pound of Bacon and do the weave. It's a lot of fun!
Not too hard once you get it going. And You will amaze yourself. :emoji_wink:
Then roll a fatty in the weave, or anything you wish. (Meatloaf?)
Wrappa-burger. Wrappa-Veggie. Have fun with it.
Your Friends and Family will really be impressed!
Bacon! It's not just for Breakfast anymore! :emoji_wink:

Just keep it to yourself that you are playing with your meat....

Last edited:
Brands are usually a personal choice, or what is on sale or we can afford.
A good number here do make their own bacon.

Most of us use a thin cut of bacon so it'll render out faster, have a good bite through consistency and look good.
Thicker bacon can pose problems along those lines, especially when overlapped.
Even thinner cuts tend to be under cooked/un-rendered where they overlap.
Smoking at higher temps can help with that.

Some people don't use a weave, and instead use single bands to avoid under cooked layers.

Last edited:
Brands are usually a personal choice, or what is on sale or we can afford.
That way with most folks from what I see, a good number do make their own bacon.

Most of us use a thin cut of bacon so it'll render out faster, have a good bite through consistency and look good.
Thicker bacon can pose problems along those lines, especially when overlapped.
Even thinner cuts tend to be under cooked/un-rendered where they overlap.
Smoking at higher temps can help with that.

Some people don't use a weave, and instead use single bands to avoid under cooked layers.

Thanks. I usually go with thinner bacon myself, so it's easier to crisp up with a torch after it comes out of the smoker. The OPs pics showed some bigger cuts, so I was curious about what it was. Cheers.

Hi Alpha, Sorry just getting back on, been a hectic month for me. As Chile said thin bacon for sure. So IMO if your using thin I go the cheapest route, I usually always get the cheap stuff from walmart. I have started doing my own bacon, but I don't do thin cut stuff, Also I only have a 10"slicer so it doesn't always fit and I end up splitting my finished product that we do slice. Thx. for the like as well. Appreciate it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky