Craving the carving

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dirtsailor2003

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
Oct 4, 2012
Bend Oregon
All day yesterday I was looking at posts of things being made. Mr T posted kimchi that looked great. Red posted tater salad that I've been craving. It had been a while since I smoked Quarters so after work I rushed to the store and sure enough they had quarters on sale! So for dinner I made a hodpodge mix of stuff for dinner. While the Mini-WSM was heating up I boiled some multi-color taters and eggs for the tater salad. I pulled out the mandolin and sliced cucumbers and radish for the kimchi and got the cucumber salted and pressed. I seasoned the chicken with SPOG and paprika. I peeled the eggs and threw them on the mini for 30 minutes while the smoker was heating up. I ran 365 brand lump with apple tonight,

American made pickle press!

I used Mr T's Kimchi Recipe, quick, easy, awesome!

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/140989/kimchi-quick-hot-pickled

It's Smokin Good!!!!

The beginnings of tater salad

Note: purple taters cook faster than the other two, so you need to pull them before the others are done.

The players. Pepper, salt, celery seed, garlic (not pictured), paprika, Guldens and Helmann's cousin BF. I normally put pickles in this but I forgot!!! 
hit.gif

Everyone always asks "how much mayo". It varies, enough to get the texture you want. I always start with a bit then add more as needed. Add your mustard first so you don't blow past the texture you want. This batch took approx. 4 large tablespoon fulls of mayo.

SPOG and paprika

YUMM!!!

Crispy!!! 325*-350* to an IT of 165*

Now that's Smokin Good!!!

ENJOY!!!

My goodness, everything looks delicious.

Tom
Thanks Tom! The Kimchi is fantastic!! Th one scoop of leftover kimchi is in my lunch today. I wish I had some shrimp or octopi to mix in with it. When I lived in Hawaii that was one of my favorite lunch items.

One thing that I have noticed on the Mini-WSM is that I have to close one of the side vents in order to get the temp above 250*  My original set up was just the threaded pipe with a cap. A while back I swapped it out for another valve, thinking that I could close the bottom vent and just use the two side vets to control the temp. Not so I guess. I have found that I need to close one of the side vents and use the lower vent to control the temp.

Original set up. One valve and one side with a cap.

New set up. This was during a shut down, all vents closed to save the leftover charcoal. But in order to get the temp up I have to close one of the side vents.

ALL looks Great, Sailor!!!!

Beautiful legs!!!

I'm a leg man from way back!!!

Actually my Dad was a breast man, but both of his sons prefer nice legs & butts. (That would be Pork Butts---Not Chicken Butts!!!!)
biggrin.gif

Bear

ALL looks Great, Sailor!!!!

Beautiful legs!!!

I'm a leg man from way back!!!

Actually my Dad was a breast man, but both of his sons prefer nice legs & butts. (That would be Pork Butts---Not Chicken Butts!!!!)
biggrin.gif

Bear
Thanks Bear!!!

I really like drummies, but the boys usually get those! The thigh was plenty tasty!
drool.gif

I love the whole meal you made. i'm making the quick kimchi today as well. Great color mix on the potato salad as well. That's a red neck pickle press, awesome. Reinhard

I love the whole meal you made. i'm making the quick kimchi today as well. Great color mix on the potato salad as well. That's a red neck pickle press, awesome. Reinhard
Thanks Reinhard! The only complaint I had is I forgot the pickles in the tater salad, and I didn't smoke enough chicken for leftovers!

Everything looks so good! I haven't saw purple potatoes before.
There all the rage here! I actually bought them at Costco. The bag has purple, red and Yukon fingerling potatoes in it. The purple taters are sweeter. They also cook faster so you have to watch that especially when pan frying. The sugar in them will burn if your not paying attention. I like serving mashed purple taters to new guests. Sometimes they even come back! 

now you are pulling the seafood card.....plop....just fell off my chair!  My second love....seafood!

Kat
Very popular in the deli case in Hawaii. They have the poke, but then there's the poke on steroids. Which is mixed with Kimchi of various types. Some like this some using seaweed, some cabbage. The most common is octopus, followed by shrimp, tuna, and salmon. My favorite was the octopi, but you had to get there early or it would be gone!

Gorgeous looking dinner as always, Case!  You couldn't get a meal that fantastic in any restaurant!

A question.... did you press your radishes along with the cucumber in your Mr. T kimchi?  Or were the radishes added in at the end?

Thanks for another beautiful post! Have a great night!

Clarissa

Clarissa, Thank you! I did not press the radish. I don't think that I would. They don't have a ton of water in them. The leftovers I had today the radish still had a snap texture to it which was nice, because the cucumber was pretty limp.y next batch I will add carrot also. Julienned not shredded. Oh and if I can find it, octopus!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky