Craving rib tips!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ammaturesmoker

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
May 31, 2015
I am thinking of doing some rib tips this next week. Throughout the summer I save the tips from the spares and freeze them. I now have 6 tips in the freezer. I want to smoke them in the UDS next week. In the past when I have done this, they have been salty. What's the best kind of rub to counter this. I have been thinking "slap yo mamma" sprinkled on a few might be a good feast. SPOG might also be good on one. I also have been meaning to try it with straight tiger sauce. I am also thinking of doing some on the Santa Maria.

Here is the rub I use on just about everything, notice it contains no salt.

Al’s Best Rub

1 1/2 cups raw sugar (turbinado)

1/4 cup red pepper flakes

1/2 cup granulated onion

1/2 cup granulated garlic

1/2 cup black pepper

1/2 cup smoked paprika

1/4 cup Spanish or Hungarian paprika

Al

Here is the rub I use on just about everything, notice it contains no salt.

Al’s Best Rub

1 1/2 cups raw sugar (turbinado)

1/4 cup red pepper flakes

1/2 cup granulated onion

1/2 cup granulated garlic

1/2 cup black pepper

1/2 cup smoked paprika

1/4 cup Spanish or Hungarian paprika

Al

Al, I have seen that one before or similar. The one I saw added white pepper and a dash of ancho chili powder Since there is no salt, this is one where I might zing the meat with apple cider vinegar first.

I am thinking of doing some rib tips this next week. Throughout the summer I save the tips from the spares and freeze them. I now have 6 tips in the freezer. I want to smoke them in the UDS next week. In the past when I have done this, they have been salty. What's the best kind of rub to counter this. I have been thinking "slap yo mamma" sprinkled on a few might be a good feast. SPOG might also be good on one. I also have been meaning to try it with straight tiger sauce. I am also thinking of doing some on the Santa Maria.

Why not just drop the salt, and go with OPG.

Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky