CrankyBuzzards Swedish Sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

reinhard

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Feb 6, 2013
Andover Minnesota
Ton of computer problems and now it's finally fixed.  Thankfully my son-in-law had time to come over and fix everything.  Anyway, I've been meaning to make Swedish sausage and a big thanks to Cranky Buzzard for his recipe.  I first tried the 3 pound batch first for a test, and then I made up a 10 pound batch.  Everyone likes the results.  I've been trying to replicate the Swedish sausage that I saw made many years ago when I worked at a small meat market.  The guy there never measured what he made, he used his hands with some of this and some of that formula.  So his hands were the measuring devise.  This was CB"s family recipe so I will post it if it's OK with him.  Here are some pics:

Here I got the 10 pound batch ready to grind.  Potato's [unseasoned frozen hash browns], pork butt, onions, and 85% lean ground beef which I ground only once through a medium plate.

Got everything mixed up and ready to stuff.  I let the mix set for a few hours so the flavors can meld in better.

Stuffed the rings and tied them up.

Poaching the rings in water temps around 180 or so until I got a internal of 155 deg.

Had to try a couple of the smaller rings for supper so I fried up some potatoes [always with skin on] in some crispy bacon.

That sure was a hit for supper..Reinhard

Now THAT is a nice looking potatis korv!  Grandma Bengtsson would be proud!  I'll be making a batch soon so we can have it for Christmas as well.

Have you tried it with some lingonberry sauce?  Trust me it rocks!

Please, post the recipe and any additions you made to it.  I share all of my recipes, so no issues.

Thanks CB!!  I haven't tried it with lingonberry's yet.  We do have some here in the meat department so I'll pick some up.  I'll post your recipe for the 3 pounds and also the one for 10 pounds.  Reinhard

Thanks CB!!  I haven't tried it with lingonberry's yet.  We do have some here in the meat department so I'll pick some up.  I'll post your recipe for the 3 pounds and also the one for 10 pounds.  Reinhard
I just noticed that you're in Minnesota, shouldn't be an issue finding lingonberry preserves or sauce there at all.

Nicely done Cranky!
Not my creation above, I just posted grandma's recipe someplace. 
biggrin.gif

Tropics, I poach mine after stuffing.  I have baked it before but I liked it better poached.  Then I vac pack the rings and freeze them.  Simply simmer them to re-heat them later.  I have also fried them in butter [after poaching] and that was tasty also.  If you don't like to poach them right after stuffing you can always simmer them later until done [on low simmer].  To high a simmer and they could burst the casing.

Here is CB's recipe:

1 pound pork

1 pound beef

1 pound potatoes [I use the unseasoned frozen hash browns]

1 onion [white]

1/2 cup water

4 tsp kosher salt

3 tsp WHITE pepper

1 tsp allspice

Mix all of your spices into the water and stir really well. Put the bowl of water and spices in the frige until needed.  Grind meats,potatoes, and onion through a 3/8th plate 1 time.  This  is a course sausage, not emulsified.  Mix the water with seasonings into the meat until it gets nice and tacky.  Stuff into hog casings.  To cook, place into a skillet with a little water and simmer until done.  You can grill it but it may split on you.  I used a large electric cooker to poach the rings because I did them all at once.

10 pounds of the same Swedish Sausage

These were my measurements so I tried to get them close to the formula and it turned out good.

3 pounds of pork

3 pounds of beef

3 pounds of potatoes

1 pound of onions [white onions]

2 cups of water

13 tsp of kosher salt

10 tsp of white pepper

1 tablespoon and 1 tsp of allspice

Reinhard

Tropics, I poach mine after stuffing.  I have baked it before but I liked it better poached.  Then I vac pack the rings and freeze them.  Simply simmer them to re-heat them later.  I have also fried them in butter [after poaching] and that was tasty also.  If you don't like to poach them right after stuffing you can always simmer them later until done [on low simmer].  To high a simmer and they could burst the casing.

Here is CB's recipe:

1 pound pork

1 pound beef

1 pound potatoes [I use the unseasoned frozen hash browns]

1 onion [white]

1/2 cup water

4 tsp kosher salt

3 tsp WHITE pepper

1 tsp allspice

Mix all of your spices into the water and stir really well. Put the bowl of water and spices in the frige until needed.  Grind meats,potatoes, and onion through a 3/8th plate 1 time.  This  is a course sausage, not emulsified.  Mix the water with seasonings into the meat until it gets nice and tacky.  Stuff into hog casings.  To cook, place into a skillet with a little water and simmer until done.  You can grill it but it may split on you.  I used a large electric cooker to poach the rings because I did them all at once.

10 pounds of the same Swedish Sausage

These were my measurements so I tried to get them close to the formula and it turned out good.

3 pounds of pork

3 pounds of beef

3 pounds of potatoes

1 pound of onions [white onions]

2 cups of water

13 tsp of kosher salt

10 tsp of white pepper

1 tablespoon and 1 tsp of allspice

Reinhard
Thank You

Richie

sausage.gif
  Man this kind of post is harmful to ones health. Wow can't stand all this weight gain. Great looking sausage thanks to both of you.

Wow, that looks good. Seems that it what we in Denmark would call Medister :) I will make Medister one of the coming days prior Christmas as we always have that for Christmas, also in we live in US :)

Thanks everyone!!  I think this is the only sausage I have made that I haven't added garlic to LOL.  Taste great the way it is, but I'm sure tempted next time.  After Christmas I'm going to be busy with making venison sausage for our deer camp that we will all share.  I'm going to give the guy's some bonus Swedish also.  Reinhard

Reinhard,

When you get ready to try some with garlic, here's one I did a couple of years ago and we liked it really well at my house.  Some of the extended family didn't rave about it since it wasn't what they were used to, but me and the boys loved it.

1 pound potatoes (peeled weight) 
1 pound beef (we use chuck roast most of the time) 
1 pound pork (butt) 

20 grams salt 
5 grams white pepper 
1 gram COURSE ground peppercorns 
2 grams fine ground all spice (fresh ground is best) 
40 grams onion (large white is what I do) 
2 cloves garlic (we use a garlic press to get the meat as fine as possible and still have the juice) 
water as required (the 125mL called for in the recipe is sometimes too much due to the water content in the potatoes.) 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky