Crab Stuffed Salmon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

thirdeye

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 1, 2019
The Cowboy State - Wyoming
05ZO50P.jpg

Two of my favorite foods came together. I started with about 3/4 cup of crab stuffing. The picked meat is seasoned with chopped onion, Old Bay, mayonnaise, parsley, garlic and lemon juice and allowed to chill for a couple of hours. After making some slits in the fillet, the flesh was rubbed with blood orange infused oil. The seasoning for the fillet is Oakridge Smoked Chile Lime rub and cracked black pepper.

Alternate half-slices of lemons and stuffing into slits in the fillet.
TxDzG7B.jpg
Lightly smoked for no more than 10 minutes, then over 30 minutes or so allowed the internal temp to creep up to 135°ish.
5FSjcGS.jpg
A kiss of live fire for some claws, they will get a fast steam right before plating.
VAyHiH1.jpg

Almost there
FDzTYJJ.jpg

Where is the rest of the fillet go? .... why it's in the Big Chief. The belly strip turned out really nice. I used pecan on these pieces.
ibH9tuV.jpg

Very nice. Gives me an idea on how to continue in reducing our Salmon inventory. Oh and we have lot of crab meat patties from a dungeness harvest this past Christmas. Thanks for the idea.

That looks beautiful and delicious bud. Heck of a nice job
Thanks for the kind words, and you are right it's a great combination. I forgot to mention that this is really good cooked one day, then chilled overnight and served as an appetizer. With the transverse cuts it's kind of delicate so for an appetizer I plate it on a wooden grilling plank just like I do for smoked salmon. It makes a great cutting board.

Very nice. Gives me an idea on how to continue in reducing our Salmon inventory. Oh and we have lot of crab meat patties from a dungeness harvest this past Christmas. Thanks for the idea.
I'm jealous of your seafood inventory.

The question of the day for me was.... how long before I break into the smoked salmon? The belly strip was the first to go for a light lunch with some cheese and crackers. Not sure yet about the tail section...

Is this the pieces with the crab mix and sliced lemon? or Salmon by itself. For either, why hesitate?

Very pretty. Looks like a Fancy Seafood option at an Expensive Wedding! ...JJ

Is this the pieces with the crab mix and sliced lemon? or Salmon by itself. For either, why hesitate?
I was talking about the left-over pieces that I smoked. I always try to make it last a few days but once I get started on it I can't stop :emoji_laughing:

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky