Cowboy Steak, Reverse Seared

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bacon_crazy510

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Feb 17, 2018
St Charles, MO
Up in the town of Penngrove (near Petaluma) there is a small, family run butcher shop/meat market. They service local farms and families, and will come out and slaughter and butcher your animals - or, if you're an apartment dweller like me, you can go to their market and buy whatever they have on hand. They smoke some great bacon, have a variety of sausages, and all kinds of other game, all delectable. I took a motorcycle ride up there on Saturday and picked up some bloody mary marinated chicken thighs, some monster thick cut pork chops, smoked polish sausage, ham and swiss sausage ... and a STEAK.

thumbnail-1.jpeg

thumbnail.jpeg

I took this 2+ pound monster out and trimmed the major fat off of it. Then I seasoned it in their house "prime rib seasoning", I put it in the icebox for a few hours to dry brine.

thumbnail-3.jpeg

After a few hours, I started up the Yoder YS640S - I set it to 225F, and put the steak in to smoke until it hit an internal temp of 110F - I used Oak pellets.

thumbnail-6.jpeg

After about an hour I started up a load Kingsford in my Weber kettle grill. I pulled the steak off at 110F, then did a hard sear on both sides over the blazing charcoal. I basted it with clarified butter than I poached some minced garlic in...) I temp'd it with the instant read thermometer, and pulled it at about 127F .... I brought it inside, and let it rest for a few minutes ....

thumbnail-4.jpeg

thumbnail-5.jpeg

I got impatient, and decided to put the camera down and eat. It was perfect.

Man, I wolfed that thing down .... so good. So, so good.

Sometimes you gotta treat yourself.

Looks good, been by there many times but never stopped in. Next time try leaving that fat on there for the cook. If you want to trim back, do that afterward to your taste and texture liking.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky