Covid is Real (Prayers needed)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I hate to post these Bad Updates, when it's all bad news, but if I post the good ones, I figure I should post the bad ones, Plus it might be a good thing to read, for those people who still think Covid is a Hoax, or "Overblown".

Thank You All for the Prayers & Thoughts,
Bear

Tuesday December 29 Shelby morning update::

Spoke to Dr Z . He said over the last 24 hours Uncle Jim continues to get sicker and sicker. The bleeding seems to have stopped. The steroids have changed to a different dose, the antibiotics changed to the most powerful they have to offer. There is nothing growing on any cultures they draw however which leads them to believe that it is unfortunately all cytokine storm. The chest x Ray is disturbing as it is very inflamed. His oxygen is 80% on 100% they said they couldn’t even offer more at a higher level of care hospital and they don’t think he would survive a transfer. I asked if my cousins and my aunt could come to see him. He said he will have chris reach out and set up an iPad face time call. And they will work on arranging a face to face visit as most certainly this is pressing and you would be allowed to come in to see him for yourselves. They are still going to do dialysis today and try to remove fluid but his blood pressure remains low as well. Dr Z is very defeated and upset that this is the news he has to bring. I will continue to be in touch as i get more updates about iPad calls and visitation.

Shelby

Keep your chin up and stay strong John. Prayers sent

Chris

Sorry to hear news like this. Hope your family can stay strong through this. I really feel for the medical staff. Each family is dealing with their own horror but the medical staff has this wherever they turn. Hoping the news gets better for your brother and family.

Covid is Real (Prayers needed)

I could use a little help. Hope I didn’t wait too long, but it just upsets me so much that this stuff was allowed to get this bad:

My Brother Jim’s wife called an ambulance to pick him up last Tuesday, because he was coughing so bad.
He tested positive for Covid-19, and was admitted to the hospital.
His Oxygen was low, so they had him wearing a “BiPap” mask.
He got out of hand, so they had to restrain him. He was also moved to ICU.

He couldn’t eat or drink with the mask on, so they took it off so he could drink, and his Oxygen dropped like a rock every time.

A couple days later, after Remdezivir, and a few other things, they put him on a Ventilator, but not full strength.
So the last couple days he’s been fed through a tube, next to his breathing tube.

Last I heard they were looking for where he’s bleeding, because his Hemoglobin is down to 6.8.
They said they might have to transfer him to another one of their hospitals, because the one he’s in isn’t capable of doing the continuous low rate Dialysis that they’d like to use on him, instead of the Stronger quick one. He never had Kidney trouble before.

He’s been going through Hell, I’m so glad he’s sedated, and not aware of what’s going on.

Jim is another Vietnam Vet, as he spent 16 1/2 months in Qui Nhon, as an Army MP.
Jim will be 76 on January 26, hopefully.

We slept in the same room for my first 16 years.

He worked 40 years at Bethlehem Steel, as a Bloomer Roller, and coached Connie Mack Baseball for 42 years (13 to 16 year olds).
We hunted, fished, drank beer, and went to Quakertown Sporting Events together.

Please throw a couple of prayers toward Jim.

Thanks,

Bear
Sorry
He and your family's will be in mine for sure. Everyone please keep as safe as you can this holiday season.
sorry to hear thi.Prayers going out.

Thanks for the update, Bear.

I had a conversation with my internal doc a couple weeks ago.
(I was there for an issue unrelated to Covid that will take a couple months to (hopefully) recover.)
Paraphrasing him Covid is mostly mild, but when it is chronic the worst is when develops a pneumonia condition.
Sadly your brother got the pneumonia .

I continue with thoughts and prayers for all.

-John

Jimmy Left Us (RIP)

This will be my last update, as We lost My Beloved Brother “Jimmy” at 3:40 PM, on Tuesday, December 29, 2020.

His Daughters met with our Younger Sister “Lori” at the Hospital to be near him before he passes, but only Lori went in to see him. Only one person was allowed in, and they all agreed it should be Lori, because being a Nurse, she was more used to “End of Life” situations. More below from Lori.
BTW: Jim's Wife "Darlene" was still at home in Isolation.

So Jimmy (75) left his Wife “Darlene” (73) of 50 years, and 2 Daughters “Jami” & “Juli”, and their 3 daughters, “Gabrielle”, “Ali”, and “Melodi”.
He also left his 3 Siblings, “Bonnie” (78) and Husband of 53 years “George” (80) with 2 Sons & 2 Daughters, “John” (72) and Wife of 52 years “Linda” (73) with 1 Son, and “Lori” (59) and Husband of 15 years “Ray” with 2 Daughters.

Jimmy will be sorely missed by all.

And This From “Lori” (Our Baby Sister)
After 2 long weeks of my brother being in ICU on a vent for Covid, and every imaginable treatment it was time to say Goodbye to him today... I held his hand and talked to him (I know he heard me even though he was not coherent).
I told him that I was proud of him and the way he tried to fight this dreaded disease, I told him how much ALL of his girls love him, I told him that he was the Big Brother who gave our Dad permission to go and be with our Mother in Heaven and now as the Baby Sister, I was giving him the permission to go be with Mom & Dad and I knew they would be waiting with open arms for him. I told him we weren’t really ready to “send him off” to them, but, we knew that his body was tired of fighting and his entire Medical Team was Proud of him for trying so hard to recover. I told him his entire family would miss him terribly, but, that one day we would all be together again and expect him to welcome us and show us around.
When he first entered the hospital he was asking for Coke and then he switched to Cream Soda... so today a 6 pack showed up with my niece, Jami... I took one up to his room and told him we brought him one just like he had asked (he wanted 3, but, we made him share with us)
So tonight I have mixed myself a Vodka Cream Soda... not bad albeit a bit sweet (maybe a new drink of choice) ... and I want everyone who reads this to tell their loved ones how much they mean to you and if you can give them a hug, as today is a gift, and tomorrow is never promised.

With love, Jim’s baby sister ~ Lori

Thank You All Again for all the Thoughts & Prayers.

Bear

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: 73saint
John, I am so very sorry for the loss of your Brother Jim. Our hearts and thoughts are with you and your Family. Your Sister's words are extremely heartfelt and meaningful.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky