Couple of Kettle Cooks

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mr_whipple

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jul 3, 2021
Virginia
Haven't posted much of late, so here's a few I did recently.

Let some leg quarters rubbed up with salt free cavenders and the bbq rub sit in the fridge over night. Shot them full of Tony C's creole butter

20230415_141533.jpg

Onto the kettle with some cowboy briquets and a couple small chunks of cherry.

20230416_172832.jpg

Letting them sit uncovered overnight made for some perfectly crispy skin. made lunch for a few days and shared some with the hounds.

20230416_183943.jpg

Did some ribs on the spinner yesterday. Looked for some sugar free rub at the store so I didn't have to make one, and I came across this. Perfect! I wasn't looking for salt free, but it worked out so very well. Rubbed up am large rack of baby backs .... I salted the ribs anyway along with the rub and they turned out killer.
20230422_064247.jpg

Last few minutes on the spinner I hit them with some Kosmos Q Jalapeno Honey. Wow did that go well with the rub.

Lets see if I can post a small video from imgr HERE Fairly hot and fast on the roti.

20230421_175332.jpg

And a somewhat ok plate shot with some slaw. These actually made it off the cutting board.

20230421_180133.jpg

Thanks for looking and enjoy the weekend!

Some good looking cooks! Was the mooch showing us his / her good side lol? My dogs would like your open door policy as well.

Ryan

Some good looking cooks! Was the mooch showing us his / her good side lol? My dogs would like your open door policy as well.

Ryan
He was about to give the brown dog the business... but he decided to head back in the house.

Both cooks look delicious! I love my Kettle, but it’s relegated to fill-in duty for large cooks ever since I got the KJ.
Looked for some sugar free rub at the store so I didn't have to make one
I’m just the opposite. I prefer to make my own rubs. That way, I can control salt and sugar content and get the exact flavors I’m looking for, all for a fraction of the cost and no chemical preservatives. Never did it until I discovered Meathead and his Memphis Dust recipe, which I’ve now adjusted to make it my own.

Both cooks look delicious! I love my Kettle, but it’s relegated to fill-in duty for large cooks ever since I got the KJ.

I’m just the opposite. I prefer to make my own rubs. That way, I can control salt and sugar content and get the exact flavors I’m looking for, all for a fraction of the cost and no chemical preservatives. Never did it until I discovered Meathead and his Memphis Dust recipe, which I’ve now adjusted to make it my own.
I don't always use store bought rubs because of the high salt content, and quite often make my own. When spinning ribs I look for zero sugar to prevent burning as it's a hot 'n fast cook. I just didn't feel like making up a batch and I was going to the store anyway. I've made the memphis dust before and it's quite tasty.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky