Couple Fathers Day butts w Q view. 1 No salt and 1 kc rub.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mops and hops

Fire Starter
Original poster
Apr 15, 2017
Having my folks and my wife's folks are visiting so I decided to cook a couple Bone in pork butts. I haven't done pulled pork in a while, theyre easy, makes great amount of leftovers, and I was able to give a new rub a try to help with a low salt diet.
The no salt yellow colored rub is a mix of original ms dash and sante fe ms dash. With some black pepper and paprika. Tried it and it immediately woke me up. Spicy enough I added dark brown and white sugar to balance it out. But it's gonna be interesting to try the bark. My guess is it goes great w a little sweeter bbq sauces.
The one I call a kc style, the reddish color rub is a mix of equal parts paprika, brown sugar, and salt (lil Morton/lil lawrys/lil garlic) then added decent amount of white sugar, a dash of onion and garlic powder, a dash of old bay, chili powder, cayenne pepper, pinch of celery salt and mustard powder.
I got the fire going hot enough to get the smoker metal hot. It's about 5/16" thick so once it gets hot it helps control temps. Got it to 450 then I shut it down till I got a thin blue smoke. Temp was 320 range but i just let hickory fire do what it wants and adjust how much I add. Nearly two hours into the cook and right now it's at 260. 280 is the average and I like high and fast results.

TGood luck w trying to find the thin blue smoke. I can't even spot it... but I'm highly caffeinated this am. Temp was at 290. The left chamber therm got broke in a move or a late night. Can't recall
This is one hr into smoke. Already getting good color. Wet bc I hit it w some apple juice.

Looks like a nice relaxing day. Looking good so far

Looking good!!!

Thanks sauced!

Nice work!

We really need to develop smell-o-vision for us still stuck at work dreaming of smoking something this weekend...
Both the fat caps are finally starting to sag and drip onto the cooker wall underneath. Smells are pretty decent. Ha

Looks like a nice relaxing day. Looking good so far
Yep. Nice and calm day. So no one to blame but myself if something goes wrong. Ha

I'm cooking two butts tomorrow for Father's day party we're having on Sunday. Supposed to be 107*. I'll be in the pool.

If mine come out 1/2 as yummy looking as yours , I'll be thrilled. Those sure look tasty. I've been using less salt on my rubs too.

No need to watch my salt intake, (lucky) just don't like my food as salty as some.

Ron

Delayed on posting pics. Anyways these two 7.5 pounders were done in less than 9 hrs. High and fast bark was still there and plenty of breakdown. The larger one was at 208 and smaller one at 206 before resting.
No salt rub. Really broken down. Actually pretty dang good. And I love salt. Heck of a kick finish. .

the kc style. Very fatty. Very broke down. Probably could have trimmed a lil fat off the top to get better bark on top but the fam and i all love bacon so not goin to get any complaints.

This was just a quick dish up of the meat. Gonna let it rest in juices until the fam comes on Sunday. But for being around the fire all day the meats gonna be twice as good.
More pics in a couple days.

Awesome. Looks great and glad to hear the results.

Awesome. Looks great and glad to hear the results.
Thanks mudd. Appreciate it.

Looking good.
Thanks!

Looks great so far, I like the rub choices....
Thanks AB. I think I will use the no salt rub on the next chicken or turkey I smoke. I think if I replace the sugar w a few types of salt it would be great for direct grilling and cast iron.

I'm cooking two butts tomorrow for Father's day party we're having on Sunday. Supposed to be 107*. I'll be in the pool.
If mine come out 1/2 as yummy looking as yours , I'll be thrilled. Those sure look tasty. I've been using less salt on my rubs too.
No need to watch my salt intake, (lucky) just don't like my food as salty as some.

Ron
Awesome plan Ron. I probably should have done 3 butts. I'm only feeding 6 more but I think these leftovers are gonna go quick. Good luck w the smoke.

Looks great, like the rubs, Point. I am doing one Monday I'm thinking, another meal for crews...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky