Country Style Ribs (CSRs)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

How can you prevent drying out?  Watch internal temp closely, use water or something else?  Also I'm not understanding the water thing.  Bear doesn't show using it with the CSRs.  Is there a rule of thumb with water?  Thanks.
Watch the internal temp----Maybe keep a probe in one of them on your hottest part of the smoker.

I don't know about altitude smoking----9000'---Yikes!!!

I never use water in my pan, but We're only at about 500'-------508' on my front porch.
icon_mrgreen.gif

Bear

Bear, they did come out a tad dry, but still had a great taste! I will have to watch temperature a little closer next time. On a brighter note, the St. Louis Spare ribs came out great!
sausage.gif
Hi Dennis!!

Try to keep from going much over 150*, but at least 145*. I keep my thickest pieces in the hottest part of the racks.

Bear

Followed the recipe Bear and it went quite well. They are tender and moist, which is what I was hoping for. New to smoking and I learn something new with each smoke thanks to all of you.  
grilling_smilie.gif

That's Great Dray!!!

That's a real nice tray of Vittles you got there!!

Bear

WoW! Bear you have hit another home run. Glad you finally were able to escape the confines of the hospital and get back to what you do best. The CSRs look really great and your instructions are very clear with all the pics. I must try to emulate your fine example soon. Love pineapple with pork, those two flavors were meant for one another. Thanks again Bear........dewboy 

Those CSR's, where do you think the butcher cuts those from?  I was cutting up a Boston Butt this weekend to make sausage and thought about making some country style ribs out of a butt. I know every once in a while I will cut one up into pork steaks and put them on the grill, or butterfly one out so as it cooks quicker than a whole butt, .......so can you see my train of though here?

Those CSR's, where do you think the butcher cuts those from?  I was cutting up a Boston Butt this weekend to make sausage and thought about making some country style ribs out of a butt. I know every once in a while I will cut one up into pork steaks and put them on the grill, or butterfly one out so as it cooks quicker than a whole butt, .......so can you see my train of though here?
They cut them from a few different places, but I believe the Shoulder (Butt) is where most come from.

Bear

They cut them from a few different places, but I believe the Shoulder (Butt) is where most come from.

Bear

You are right. I know the Meijer's in my area will actually have two different style of CSRs, ones cut from the picnic roast, and ones cut from the boston butt. Predicatably, the boston butt CSRs are usually a few more penny's, but totally worth it. I prefer them boneless too since the bones in CSRs can be inconsistent in size and sharp. Too dangerous for my little 3 year old.

Nice job Bear. Your posts are always a big hit and very user friendly.

yeh bears right, most of the CSR's are cut from the shoulder. and boneless is the only way to go...at least in my house cuz those bones can be pretty darn sharp and are more of a PITA to try and get all the meat off of them. just made some yesterday, took some all the way to pulling temp for a pulled pork sammy for me and my 4 yr old. wife loves hers sliced and glazed in tiger sauce. who doesnt?..lol.

You are right. I know the Meijer's in my area will actually have two different style of CSRs, ones cut from the picnic roast, and ones cut from the boston butt. Predicatably, the boston butt CSRs are usually a few more penny's, but totally worth it. I prefer them boneless too since the bones in CSRs can be inconsistent in size and sharp. Too dangerous for my little 3 year old.

Yes, I never noticed until I purchased these that there were 2 different cuts of CSRs. Will try the other next time. Wife likes them with the bone, so I will by a tray of each. 

439.gif

Last edited:
Wow Bear I can't believe I missed this thread.

Looks awesome.

I see CSR' s in my near future.

I can smoke and sear all in my uds.

Thanks for another great post.

yeh bears right, most of the CSR's are cut from the shoulder. and boneless is the only way to go...at least in my house cuz those bones can be pretty darn sharp and are more of a PITA to try and get all the meat off of them. just made some yesterday, took some all the way to pulling temp for a pulled pork sammy for me and my 4 yr old. wife loves hers sliced and glazed in tiger sauce. who doesnt?..lol.
Thanks T & B, and Kurt !!

I agree about the bones, for a couple reasons:

One is that if a piece has more bone than another piece, it seems to get done quicker & can dry out.

The other is the bones are sharp. I once bit into a piece & a hidden sharp bone cut my gum, right next to my teeth. Didn't feel good at all !!

I like a little excess fat on mine too!!

Bear

Wow Bear I can't believe I missed this thread.

Looks awesome.

I see CSR' s in my near future.

I can smoke and sear all in my uds.

Thanks for another great post.
Thank You Farmer!!

Yell if you have any questions.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky