Country Short Ribs... Terrible smoke flavor..

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I have used mesquite before with no issues. I was surprised you held off smoking until you were closing in on 156º internal. Most meats do not accept smoke once past 140º internal. Still you could get external smoke though. I would have to side with those that stated too much smoke. Can weigh in on the bringing, as I never do this.
This has come up several times before-the fact is that meat will continue to take on smoke as long as smoke is present. Once the meat passes through the 140° temp range,  the chemical reactions between the smoke and the nitrites in the meat that creates the smoke ring stops.

This has come up several times before-the fact is that meat will continue to take on smoke as long as smoke is present. Once the meat passes through the 140° temp range,  the chemical reactions between the smoke and the nitrites in the meat that creates the smoke ring stops.

...and thus the reason I said >>Still you could get external smoke though<<. 
thumb1.gif

When I first started smoking, I tried mesquite on a brisket and ran it the whole time.  I felt I had the same outcome, it wasn't bad just overpowering.  I was also told that after 140* the meat protiens have "hardened" enough that you won't get anymore smoke penetration, so using your "good" wood was a waste after that.  It seems I have not had that problem since, I also quit using mesquite, maybe a little gun shy too.

Never done CSR's, but seems from what I have read, they cook fairly quickly, so your temp may have reached 140*, before you even started applying smoke to them, could possibly explain the lack of smoke ring.  Maybe next time, start them with the smoke right off the bat. 

As for the 140* rule, it was told to me by a culinary school instructor. I have no reason to doubt it, but it could be complete bunk as well.  Maybe someone else can confirm this, one way or another.

ETA: Um didn't realize there was a second page, sounds like the 140 question is answered.

Last edited:
When I first started smoking, I tried mesquite on a brisket and ran it the whole time.  I felt I had the same outcome, it wasn't bad just overpowering.  I was also told that after 140* the meat protiens have "hardened" enough that you won't get anymore smoke penetration, so using your "good" wood was a waste after that.  It seems I have not had that problem since, I also quit using mesquite, maybe a little gun shy too.

Never done CSR's, but seems from what I have read, they cook fairly quickly, so your temp may have reached 140*, before you even started applying smoke to them, could possibly explain the lack of smoke ring.  Maybe next time, start them with the smoke right off the bat. 

As for the 140* rule, it was told to me by a culinary school instructor. I have no reason to doubt it, but it could be complete bunk as well.  Maybe someone else can confirm this, one way or another.

ETA: Um didn't realize there was a second page, sounds like the 140 question is answered.
Rowdy,

No smoke ring because he used his MES (electric). We watt burners don't get smoke rings.

Bear

Thank you for clearing that up, Bear. 
icon14.gif
  I didn't realize you guys don't get smoke rigs on the watt burners, never used one before.  I swear I learn at least one new thing from this site every day. 
PDT_Armataz_01_36.gif
  This place is so much better than any book you could read. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky