1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Could I use this PID on MES30?

Discussion in 'Electric Smokers' started by learninsmoke, Sep 10, 2019.

1. learninsmoke

learninsmoke Newbie

Hey guys/gals,

Im no electronics guru, I read through a ton of posts on PID's and the "rewire" etc. I would love to have some of the units that guys are discussing but I can't afford to put that much money into my smoker right now. I am wondering if I could use this PID on my MES30, it is a Bayite BTC201 (Ill put a link below). I don't need bluetooth, any alarms, etc., I just want my MES to run at a more consistent (and known) temperature. This unit is 10A but they have a 211 model that is rated for 15A. Thanks for your help

2. dr k

dr k Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Yes. It's an on/off controller like the Mes stock. It has to be better than the Mes because the sensor will be next to your food.

3. JckDanls 07

JckDanls 07 Smoking Guru Group Lead OTBS Member

It has a 25` temp swing between on/off ... 10,15,20 degrees under set temp... 10,15,20 degrees over set temp... ... SO don't expect it to hold steady (within a few degrees) of set temp as it has a mechanical relay instead of an SSR (solid state relay)... As said.. it will work like the stock controller...

Also.. you really only need a single stage unless your planning on brewing in the future ...

4. chopsaw

chopsaw Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Is your old stock controller bad ?

5. learninsmoke

learninsmoke Newbie

Thank you for the info, 25* swing is more than I was hoping for. I’m not sure that the controller is necessarily bad but I have to set it to 261* to have an actual smoker IT of 225* (or as close as I can get to it). I would like to be able to set the temp and have the actual smoker temp be pretty close to what I set it to

6. daveomak

daveomak Epic Pitmaster OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

I have a dimmer on my MES 30.... I adjust the heat output of the element until I get the temp I want.... It never turns off.... Keeps real even heat...
    There is a new SCR that's better than a dimmer and much cheaper....
    I use them continually on a 1500 watt electric hot plate to adjust the temperature I want...
    SCR Controller

tallbm likes this.
  7. learninsmoke

learninsmoke Newbie

I saw that some people are using the REX-C100. Which unit would work with the MES30, the 25DA, 40DA or 75DA? It comes with an SSR relay and K thermocouple

8. Steve H

Steve H Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

Max temp is 230 degrees. Something to consider on hotter cooks.

tallbm likes this.
  9. Steve H

Steve H Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

I use the same thing. Just from InkBird. I believe the OP is looking more for a plug and play unit.